Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Early Menopause and Me  (Read 2779 times)

Ros

Early Menopause and Me
« on: February 10, 2015, 01:48:09 PM »

Hi, I'm Ros. I'm 39, and from Atlanta.

I started having hot flashes last year, and my periods got closer and closer together. The hot flashes got really bad, so I finally went and saw my primary care doctor about four months ago. They did hormone panels, which showed late stage perimenopause.

I have a thyroid autoimmune disease, and when I was in high school, I had thyroid cancer with chemotherapy, so the doctor said early menopause was pretty much a given. Both her and my ob-gyn believe it's too early to be on HRT aside from progesterone cream, and want me to wait until I'm at least 45.

I now have realized a few other symptoms are correlated, including periods of rage, and night terrors/nightmares. I just want to get more information so I can be better prepared for all of this.

Dancinggirl

Re: Early Menopause and Me
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 02:39:01 PM »

HI Ros and welcome to MM
You've had a tough time and are clearly getting lots of professional help - however we on MM are here to help and support you in your menopause journey. 
I had a premature menopause which started in my mid 30s - I am now 58 and have used HRT on and off for over 20 years now - We are very lucky there is treatment available.

I would question whether progesterone only treatment is still appropriate as it seems you are well into peri meno now and some oestrogen would help with the symptoms you are experiencing.
If your recent blood test showed you were in late peri meno then I am baffled as to why they haven't prescribed systemic HRT which includes oestrogen!!!?
Here in the UK Progesterone cream isn't licensed for conventional use (as far as I know) and is certainly not a traditional way to treat menopause symptoms. It is HRT with oestrogen that helps menopause symptoms and prevents bone loss, heart disease and reduces the risk of bowel cancer, vaginal atrophy and urinary problems. Progesterone in HRT is used to protect the womb lining from building up - in fact it is often the  progesterone that gives negative side effects - if you are experiencing PMT type symptoms then the progesterone cream may not be helping because it is oestrogen that you need more??!!
Do read all the info under the headings to the left of this screen to get really clued up.
I am certainly no expert but I have heard there is some balancing to be done, as and when you start HRT, in relation to the thyroid drugs you use. As you are only 39 I would be concerned about the long term health problems (I have mentioned above) should you have oestrogen deficiency for too long. Why are they waiting to give you some oestrogen? I doesn't make sense to me!!!???
Do check out this sight that is specifically for women with premature menopause: www.daisynetwork.org.uk
There are also some great Youtube films that are really helpful: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAjwoYuItHS-4jvjL6gJgM7o-vpr0PVk6
Keep posting.  DG x

Hurdity

Re: Early Menopause and Me
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 01:04:40 PM »

Hi Ros

:welcomemm: from me too - I can't add anything to what Dancinggirl has said but just that you shouldn't need to suffer - age has nothing to do with when to start HRT and more important to start earlier if you are going through menopause early, and especially if you start missing periods.

Hurdity x