Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: applicators and vaginal dryness  (Read 3055 times)

bsc

applicators and vaginal dryness
« on: February 11, 2015, 02:24:34 PM »

Hi Everyone,
Have just discovered this fab site and wondered if anyone out there had any advice for me. I am 51 and have not had a period now for 3 years. My menopause seemed to be going quite well up to about a year ago and then I started to get vaginal dryness and intercourse was painful. I then developed a urethral stricture(has anyone else had this as it is also connected to the menopause) which has still not been fully corrected, even after a dilation operation. My doctor gave me vagifem at first but I noticed no difference using it and I have just started Ovestin (2 days ago.)
One of my problems is that I find it difficult and very uncomfortable using an applicator as I always used towels for my periods. My doctor has said that I can use the Ovestin cream and insert it just using my finger which is what I have been doing. Does anyone else do this and is it effective? I really don't want my sex life to finish at 51!!! It seems my mind is willing but my body is not.
I also have an ovarian cyst which I have had for many years and have been told that because it is causing me no problems, it is unlikely to be operated upon, as it should shrink with the lack of oestrogen in my system due to the menopause. I was wondering whether the Ovestin cream will encourage it to grow again or whether the dose will be low enough for it not to have an effect?
I am very confused about it all. Can anyone help?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: applicators and vaginal dryness
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 03:13:26 PM »

Firstly -  :welcomemm:  the up-take of locally applied oestrogen is supposedly small once the initial 'load' of 2 weeks is over, certainly Ovestin has helped my symptoms [see my thread, My Bladder etc.;] …… I didn't use tampons but have found no difficulty with the applicator, less messy than on a finger and it can be shoved higher up …….. it is important to be relaxed either way and I use it at night so that I doesn't drain out!

Whether your ovarian cyst will be triggered is something only you can see, keep a diary?  It is of interest to other ladies as we are told that up-take is small …… too small to impact on other organs  ::)