Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: So Angry!  (Read 10460 times)

Judith57

So Angry!
« on: February 08, 2015, 07:50:59 PM »

I need to let off some steam ladies.  >:(

For just over a year a new bridge has been under construction near where I live, it is a swing bridge that goes across Deptford Creek and forms part of a new footpath/cycle path along the bank of the Thames from Tower Bridge to Greenwich. I have been quite excited about this bridge, it is a thing of beauty and I have been eagerly awaiting it's completion. I walked down there a few times between Christmas and mid January and, although it looked finished, it wasn't open yet and was still closed off. This afternoon, it was glorious weather so I walked down there and it was open. It possibly seems silly to be so excited about a bridge but I have been gradually watching the construction and was really looking forward to it opening, it is on the site of Henry VIII's original Tudor dockyard.

Anyway, this is what made me so angry, a group of five youths were skateboarding across the bridge, mounting one of the supports in the middle, jumping and twisting in the air and then landing back down on the support with a large clatter, scraping all the new paint off the bridge. Not only was this dangerous for people using the bridge it was also really upsetting to see. There was a man who was as angry as me but said what could we do.... I did ask them if they thought it was acceptable to deface a brand new bridge and they shrugged and one of them asked if I thought it was acceptable to talk to strangers! If that was all he could come up with it was a bit pathetic really! Of course, I have thought of all kinds of replies I should have come up with but just walked off as they were quite intimidating, to be honest.

Anyway, I have fired off an e-mail to The Royal Borough of Greenwich anti-social behaviour dept asking them to do something about it. Their website proudly boasts the bridge as the only one of its kind in the country and states that it opened on 19th January, so three weeks later it has already been spoilt by some mindless youths with no respect for public property!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 08:01:36 PM by Judith57 »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: So Angry!
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 07:52:41 PM »

It annoys me too.  So much work goes into getting Plans accepted and passed, followed by building etc..  But these types of skateboarding activities are all over the place ………. maybe a row of little nubs should have been put onto the railings  ;)

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 08:02:11 PM »

Call the police Judith. Its anti social behaviour. Of course pursue changes with the council too.

You are braver than me challenging them as you just never know these days.....perhaps better not chance that again.

I'm so sorry that this has happened. It's just such a shame because it sounds lovely.

Honeyb
X

Judith57

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 08:20:46 PM »

I just keep thinking 'How Dare They!' . This bridge has been built to enhance the area and for everyone to enjoy and the little s**** think it is ok to spoil it!

I will think twice before challenging anyone in future HB as there is a lot of knife crime in London these days and you never know, I was also really surprised that nobody else seemed prepared to challenge them. There was a feature on The One Show about two weeks ago where they 'planted' a litter lout at busy railway stations and filmed the reactions of the people witnessing this and hardly anyone was prepared to challenge the 'litter lout'. A sign of the times I guess.....

Limpy

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 08:43:18 PM »

Totally agree with you Judith. It's horrible when unthinking yobs wreck something just because they think it's funny. Sadly, their behaviour won't/can't be challenged given the amount of knife crime that exists at the moment.

Joyce

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 09:31:53 PM »

Total lack of respect for things these days, such a shame!

I'm too scared to challenge people, like you say you just never know what might happen.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015, 09:33:07 PM »

They aren't taught though.  It's all 'me, me, me'  ::) - I wonder if a skate park was built if they would stay there? we have them in Northants and they are well used.

honeybun

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2015, 09:36:17 PM »

I used to feel confident to have "words" with some that hung around our local shop. You had to struggle to get past.
The only reason I would is I knew most of them from primary school where I volunteered for years.

Now I wouldn't dare even in a really little town like mine.

Please think twice before you do that again....no bridge is worth it no matter how nice.

Honeyb
X

Rhubarb

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2015, 05:27:01 PM »

How awful that you can't even say something to misbehaving kids without fearing for your safety these days.  My first thought was the same as CLKD, have a skate park built if there isn't one already and make it illegal anywhere else.

clio

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2015, 08:02:30 AM »

There's a skate park where I use to live and that get used well too, I think they are a great idea.  Youths these days are horrible and to add to that they have the law on there side to do as they please. Rotten government, rotten law, I've always felt I was born too late,  don't like living in the world today. Gosh I'm ranting and its only 8.00am

Dulciana

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2015, 08:27:52 AM »

I knew somebody who challenged youths in a supermarket car park, years ago.  They set upon her and she was in a bad way.  About 4 years ago, she died of the big C., in her mid-60's.  I often think there's a connection there.

clio

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2015, 04:37:16 AM »

Dulciana thats awful.....poor woman!

rosebud57

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2015, 09:39:32 AM »

I don't think it's fair to tar all 'youths' with the same brush.  Those that cause trouble are a small minority.  Please don't stigmatise the young with the actions of a few.  They have pressures these days that we never had. No youth clubs or saturday cinema, no close family networks (everyones scattered these days), huge pressure at school to pass exams that won't help them anyway, and when they leave school no jobs.  Added to that they regarded as something to be feared just for walking down the road.

I agree there is no excuse for the behaviour of the boys on the bridge but they are not representing ALL the young.   Just remember many of you have sons and grandson.  Would you like them to be thought of like that?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 09:50:27 AM by rosebud57 »

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2015, 01:46:09 PM »

Our local youths don't use the clubs etc. that *are* set up  >:( then complain 'there's nothing to do'.  Our local youths don't attend Schools either  >:( ……… so are un-likely to be advised right from wrong  :bang:

Anyone familiar with skate boarding will see this new bridge as an opportunity, without thinking about the damage that might be caused! Street skate boarding has now spread to the slopes ……….. it's a growing 'sport'/occupation for young people. 

honeybun

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2015, 03:29:59 PM »

I agree rosebud.....and I dont. I have a son who was just the same as other lads. He is 25 now.

However.....I actually do blame the parents. Don't they know or care where their kids are or what they are doing. I watched mine and knew what they were generally up too. I taught them respect and manners.

So no I don't totally blame the kids although they do need to take some responsibility for their actions.

Honeyb
X
Pages: [1] 2