Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Health problems in the 20th and 21st C  (Read 5459 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Health problems in the 20th and 21st C
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2015, 03:36:12 PM »

All the conditions mentioned are 'natural'.  Or they wouldn't happen.  There weren't the medications to cure.  Many people died due to injuries received in War, either arrow or shot wounds.  No ABs in those days, arrows were placed into muddy ground particularly where cattle had grazed and used against the enemy.  Arrows were often pulled from the wound which would invite infection.

Consumption = TB - never talked about.  Scabies, lice, fleas, bed bugs were common. 

However in the 1st World we have: clean water, fresh air, good housing, a free health service, medications and expertise, something lacking across the World - children die due to lack of clean water daily  :-\ …….. young women die due to mutilation carried out by the 'elders' of their village [women] because it is the custom  :'( - either because of the mutilation or during childbirth because the vagina has been sown up.  This could so easily be stopped!

Slum clearance across the UK helped - TB became un-known for several years until the mid-1980s when Students from Malaya brought it into Wales ……… in the UK I was given an injection at age 13 against it.  We know that smoking can impact on general health - as can War, my Grandads were both affected having done active Service.  One was also a baker and died of lung cancer.  Clean water helped clear incidences of cholera in London: located to 1-2 public pumps: and the knowledge gained spread across the UK. 

The Clean Air Act helped humans but encourages the spread of black spot in roses  ::).

I was a prem-baby and not expected to live.  Delivered in Hospital which helped I suppose.  Expect I had the jabs common at that time.  Still here >wave< …….. another baby in the family however, died aged 17 months and I still don't know why ………  :-\. Never talked about.

The War Years were when people in the UK were at their healthiest, ever.  Less sugar, more exercise, lots of freshly produced vegetables …… rationing meant that nothing was wasted: food, milk, water, time, clothing …… 'make do and mend.  Then came Supermarkets and a generation lost the knack of home care ……… and we have so much health choice but more health problems to sort, that the NHS is floundering.

There is still a stigma about TB, depression, phobias, Aids ……. menopause is not well enough studied by GPs.  Money and lack of time makes it hard work for GPs to 'keep up'!

I had pneumonia at aged 11 months - 3 weeks in Hospital.  I didn't walk until I was 1 month short of being 2.  I had the usual illnesses through School: chickenpox and measles parties, Salmonella [aged 13], no  mumps though my sister had it on 1 side. The younger kids had whooping cough ……… awful.  Apparently a blood test confirms that I had German measles, thought at the time that it was strawberry reaction  ::).  Lots of sport in School including the dreaded cross-country - swimming, hockey, hop-scotch, 'string' all played at break.  We cycled or walked everywhere.  Periods were talked about in hushed whispers. 

Without ADs I wouldn't be here.  Without a very good GP I wouldn't be here.  Fortunately he's clued up on menopause too!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Health problems in the 20th and 21st C
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2015, 03:38:46 PM »

We suffer joint problems, either from exercise, work situations or obesity.  Joints that weren't expected to last, until recent years replacements weren't an option.  1 suffered with pain.  Replacements then became available but were only given a shelf life of about 10 years so patients were told to take care of them! at least in most cases, the patient was given instant pain relief.  Dental care has improved even in the past 5 years  :-*
Pages: 1 [2]