Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Seroquel!  (Read 2275 times)

Debbielev

Seroquel!
« on: October 17, 2017, 04:38:16 PM »

So been to the Gp today and for my anxiety he has given me Zaluron 50mg also known as Seroquel and Quetiapine. Anyone tried this please .
Am on Elleste duet 1mg.
Hate taking new meds
Thanks Debbie

Hurdity

Re: Seroquel!
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 06:36:15 PM »

Hi Debbielev

I've never heard of this drug and it is not an anti-anxiety drug - looks like it is an anti-psychotic drug but had a look online at the drugs info:

"Zaluron XL is indicated for:

• treatment of Schizophrenia.
• treatment of bipolar disorder:
- For the treatment of moderate to severe manic episodes in bipolar disorder
- For the treatment of major depressive episodes in bipolar disorder
- For the prevention of recurrence of manic or depressed episodes in patients with bipolar disorder who previously responded to quetiapine treatment.
• add-on treatment of major depressive episodes in patients with Major Depressive Disorder (MDD) who have had suboptimal response to antidepressant monotherapy (see section 5.1). Prior to initiating treatment, clinicians should consider the safety profile of quetiapine (see section 4.4)."

https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/29739

I don't know your history re mental health so can't comment but from what you said in your other posts you have taken ADs before like Sertraline - which would be a more usual one for anxiety. There must be a reason why the doctor has prescribed what looks like a very powerful drug? Hopefully someone else might be able to shed more light on its use in menopause?

On your other thread you talked about your HRT and I and others made suggestions about changing and maybe increasing the oestrogen dose, and not sure why you decided against this option but I presume your doc will have had a reason for this based on your history, especially if you have had major depression in the past (rather than anxiety)?

Hurdity x

Debbielev

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 06:44:49 PM »

Hi Hurdity,
I haven't had any psychotic episodes at all lol, just anxiety. He said it says for bi polar etc but that they use it alongside hrt? For anxiety.
Ridiculous I'm not going to take it
Xx

dahliagirl

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 09:13:13 PM »

https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/drugs-and-treatments/

Mind has a very comprehensive section on drugs and treatment and it is worth looking for it there.  It says some antipsychotics are used for anxiety in LOW doses.

Might be worth a word with the pharmacist too.