Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Silk cushion covers  (Read 6124 times)

Dulciana

Silk cushion covers
« on: February 10, 2015, 12:56:05 PM »

A few years ago, I bought eight lovely silk cushion covers for our lounge suite from a well-known department store.  They complement our colour scheme and look great.  Now, less than five years on, all eight of them are perishing at the corners.   It's as if they're bio-degrading.  Has anyone else found this with silk, or any other natural fabric? 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Silk cushion covers
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 01:13:11 PM »

I don't like the feel of silk.  I don't like the way it's produced  :'( ……….

Have you washed them?

Dulciana

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 01:24:51 PM »

I've had them dry-cleaned, CLKD.  They seemed fine after that.  It's as if the air's getting to them.  Actually, thinking about that, ??? it's only happened within the last year.  Last spring, we lost our little cat, who always used to sleep in the lounge.  We had to keep the door open every night so that she could get upstairs to her litter box.  Since she's gone, we've kept the door shut every night, so that the night-storage heaters can do their stuff and the room's nice and cosy for the next morning.   Hmmm.....I think I may have answered my own question. 

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 01:37:11 PM »

Are they actually perishing or is the silk starting to sort of become more open. I find it hard to explain. If it's next to the seams then it's probably just been caused by use over the years. I have had that happen to silk cushions wherever seems meet.

Honeyb
x

Dulciana

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 01:45:41 PM »

It's right at the corners, Honeybun, which is also where the seams meet.   So it probably is general use.  Oh well, I'll know not buy them again.   :)

honeybun

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 01:47:49 PM »

You often find if there is embroidery it does it around that as well. I really didn't think they would perish to be honest.

Honeyb
X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 03:06:03 PM »

Silk is a natural fibre, subject to erosion?

Rowan

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 03:11:32 PM »

You would hate my pure silk pillowcases CLKD, to me they are bliss to sleep on  :) silk production is over 7.000 years old.

honeybun

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2015, 03:56:07 PM »

Ooo decadent SL.   ;D

I had those until meno struck. Wakened up with perfect hair now it resembles a birds nest  :o

Honeyb
X