Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Oily fish  (Read 6142 times)

hanging.on.in.there

Oily fish
« on: February 08, 2015, 07:36:54 PM »

Husband really needs to start eating oily fish at least once a week, for heart, plus there is Alzheimers in his family and it is supposed to be beneficial for that.
However, he cannot bear any fish, let alone oily fish- any good recipes for fish haters ?
I've tried spices etc, but to no avail !
Thanks ladies, Im sure I cant be the only one with this problem. 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Oily fish
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 07:46:29 PM »

You are not the only 1.  I have to fancy fish ……. and the smell after cooking >holds nose<  ;D

DH eats a lot of smoked fish which is slightly dryer.  It does depend on how the fish is cooked.  Plaice fried lightly and served on a bed of boiled rice mixed with sweet corn/peas/black pepper …… with a dash of lemon/lime.  Trout and mackerel - again fried lightly and drained on kitchen roll before serving - DH put mackerel in the oven last week and it was too oily for me, I could taste it for hours after.

I prefer mackeral grilled - on a bed of foil or parchment so that the oils can be drained off periodically whilst cooking.  Again served with crusty bread, salad, rice …….. if you buy tinned already cooked fish the oil can be drained off ……. served on toast or mixed into a bed of cooked rice.  For me it's getting rid of the oily 'taste'!

1 serving per week is plenty.  Too much is as bad as too little ……… have a look on the shelves and see what variants there are!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 10:13:50 AM by CLKD »

Dorothy

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 08:34:03 PM »

I make a fish stew with tomatoes, peppers and olives. Strong flavours make it a bit less fishy.

Also have a recipe for tuna in a hot cheese sauce, but as cheese isn't great for people with heart conditions I guess the benefits would cancel each other out. :-\

Maybe you could have his favourite meal once a week and he could eat a sardine before it (while holding his nose?)   ;D   A bit like getting a sweet for swallowing nasty medicine when you were a child  ;)

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 09:41:01 PM »

;D ……. I think if one takes capsules is as good as eating fish on the bone …….. maybe have a chat with a dietician or a personal trainer at a gym for advice?

honeybun

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 10:23:43 PM »

Yep buy him a good fish oil supplement.

Honeyb
X

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 10:14:08 AM »

Than turn your face away when if burps  ;)