Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: How lng to stay on HRT  (Read 1500 times)

Essexragdoll

How lng to stay on HRT
« on: February 03, 2015, 07:08:37 PM »

I am posting this for a friend, as I have only just started on HRT. She had been on combined, low doseHRT for 3 years since the age of 47, but has concerns about the risks  of being on it after the age of 50. I think I read that HRT before 50 does not increase your risk at all of Breast Cancer but after the age of 50 there is a slightly greater risk, and that you should only be on the combined for a max of 5 years.
There are is so many  different articles and research on this if is difficult to really know what's best. Am I correct ?

Hurdity

Re: How lng to stay on HRT
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 07:54:59 PM »

Hi Esesexragdoll

I've just watched the excellent International Menopause Youtube video on this which Emma posted a while back and which peegeetip alerted us to.

This one on safety explains it all so much better than I can!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZSztD9p4co&list=PLAjwoYuItHS-4jvjL6gJgM7o-vpr0PVk6&index=4

To summarise - if HRT is started in your 50's or within 10 years of menopause, it can safely be taken for 5 years and for many women the benefits outweigh the risks even for 10 years, if you do not have any personal risk factors. Keep your weight down, and improve other lifestyle factors (re alcohol, exercise etc) and you will reduce the rsik even further.

If you want to take it longer term then it is advisable to change to transdermal HRT (pacth or gel) with progesterone rather than oral HRT, and synthetic progestogens.

Hurdity x

Taking it longer term

Essexragdoll

Re: How lng to stay on HRT
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 08:32:20 PM »

Thanks, I will point my friend to the YouTube clip. I think she wants to stay on it as long as possible so this should help her decide on the best course of action.