Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: tasteless potatos ?  (Read 10782 times)

rosebud57

honeybun

Re: tasteless potatos ?
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2015, 01:58:05 PM »

I used to love Ayrshire potatoes. Then they started to taste of....nothing.

I discovered that the farmers had been stopped from gathering seaweed on the beach to fertilise the fields.
When we got our allotement we gathered seaweed and dug it in. Grew our own tatties and they taste great.

How many of us grow our own. Potato bags are great if you don't have much room and nothing tastes like potatoes dug up and cooked ten mins later.

Honeyb
X

Dorothy

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2015, 02:37:42 PM »

How many of us grow our own. Potato bags are great if you don't have much room and nothing tastes like potatoes dug up and cooked ten mins later.

I agree.  And grown this way, they must be the easiest veg crop possible.  No digging, no weeding.  You do have to keep them well watered if you want a good crop though.

Joyce

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2015, 02:47:38 PM »

So that's what happened to the Ayrshire's. I thought it was my taste buds going AWOL. I loved Ayrshire's of a few years back. My mum hated them. She liked floury potatoes & disliked the waxy texture of Ayrshire's.

My brother grows some in pots in fact they have an annual competition with their friends.  ;D

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2015, 03:05:25 PM »

Pink Fir Apple are good for growing at home but they sell fast!

Always salt potatoes, brings out the flavour - and DH roasts whole cloves of garlic when he does spuds  ;)
Pages: 1 [2]