Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Author Topic: Music and musicians  (Read 52809 times)

Dulciana

Re: Calling all musicians - let's swap "notes"!
« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2015, 02:11:37 PM »

This is less to do with dreams, more to do with night time - an old teacher of mine used to say, the best way to see if you can really play something is to get up at 2am, play whatever-it-is, then go back to sleep............Phantom-of-the-Opera organ noises coming from our flat in the middle of the night??  I don't think so!!  (Just joking - I would use headphones!)  (Note: use of the word "would"!)   

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2015, 02:38:51 PM »

Singing out loud  :) ?

Ju Ju

« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2015, 05:04:25 PM »

I sing the songs I am learning in my head at night, first to fix the words in my mind, then to polish timing, expression and performance. Beats counting sheep!

Dulciana

« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2015, 06:38:09 PM »

Sounds good, Ju Ju  :)

Dulciana

« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2015, 08:15:12 PM »

Honorsmum - Simon Rattle and the Berlin Phil on BBC4 now, doing Sibelius symphonies 5, 6 and 7!  (8pm to 9.39pm.)
Dulciana

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2015, 08:19:06 PM »

I watched it last night  ;)

honorsmum

« Reply #66 on: February 15, 2015, 08:29:41 PM »

Honorsmum - Simon Rattle and the Berlin Phil on BBC4 now, doing Sibelius symphonies 5, 6 and 7!  (8pm to 9.39pm.)
Dulciana

Thank you! Love Sir Simon!

honorsmum

« Reply #67 on: February 15, 2015, 08:31:44 PM »

Turned over just in time - my favourite! And THE best (and most gorgeous) principal flute player in the world - Emmanuel Pahud. <3

honorsmum

« Reply #68 on: February 15, 2015, 08:45:24 PM »

Dulciana - Spotted someone I went to junior music college with at 12 - she is a horn player in the Berlin Phil.
Also, just spotted my friend's daughter in the youth orchestra featured.  :)

Dulciana

« Reply #69 on: February 15, 2015, 10:12:29 PM »

Wow!   Oh, wasn't that just fantastic!?  I feel I've just been to Finland and back, courtesy of one amazing Maestro and all those wonderful musicians.
Well done, your friend from junior music college, and your friend's daughter, by the way.  Know what you mean about the flute player, too!  ::)
I was just saying to Hubby - every single facial expression and baton movement from Sir Simon was picked up and reflected by the Berlin Phil.  It just shows what it's possible to do with a piece of music - totally vindicates the need to wring every last little drop of expression out of every single note, from the biggest to the smallest.  Makes me want to go and play!!  (Can't - it's bedtime.)
(I still think symphony 7 needs one more note at the end......... :))
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 10:15:05 PM by Dulciana »

honorsmum

« Reply #70 on: February 15, 2015, 10:30:59 PM »

The horn player I was at college with is the first female brass player in the history of the Berlin Phil - what a huge accolade!
It was a wonderful programme, wasn't it? I'd love to have played under Sir Simon - he is just incredible.
It was lovely to see my old stomping ground again too - I have many happy memories of playing on the Barbican stage. (I have photos somewhere).
My friend, whose daughter I spotted, was at Guildhall when I was there. She now plays in West End shows and recording sessions. Her daughter is also a violinist, 17, and studying at the Purcell school.

Limpy

« Reply #71 on: February 16, 2015, 09:38:15 AM »

That female horn player is so so good.
There was a performance of Mahler 5 a few years ago, with an orchestra made of specially gathered players -  (orchestra for world peace or something like that - George Solti started it) She played second horn to another female horn player (American - Gail ...... (don't know name)) They were absolutely brilliant.

honorsmum

« Reply #72 on: February 16, 2015, 10:34:36 AM »

That female horn player is so so good.
There was a performance of Mahler 5 a few years ago, with an orchestra made of specially gathered players -  (orchestra for world peace or something like that - George Solti started it) She played second horn to another female horn player (American - Gail ...... (don't know name)) They were absolutely brilliant.

The person I know is called Sarah Willis. She has her own website, and presents a tv show called, Sarah's Music.

Dulciana

« Reply #73 on: February 16, 2015, 10:36:36 AM »

It's so nice, hearing about family who have followed Mum and/or Dad into music.  Our daughter did well at cello while she was at school, getting 140 in Grade 8 at age 17 and Dip ABRSM not long after.   Then she went in for art, which took up all her time from 2007 until now, and she has only just started getting back into cello in the last few weeks.   It's great that she has talent in both areas but she's going to have quite a bit of de-rusting now if she wants to really enjoy her cello again to the same standard.   She's working full-time (9-to-5, just to bring the pennies in) and is beginning to get art commissions coming in.  Ideally, she needs 26 hours in her day...!

BrightLight

« Reply #74 on: March 02, 2015, 11:11:30 PM »

I just watched this video on the neuroscience behind why music and playing is so good for us :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0JKCYZ8hng#t=81
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11