Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11

Author Topic: Music and musicians  (Read 52808 times)

Dulciana

Re: Calling all musicians - let's swap "notes"!
« Reply #75 on: March 11, 2015, 11:26:24 AM »

Looks interesting, BrightLight. I haven't been able to look at this yet because my laptop had to get de-bugged after a virus and I've been afraid to click on things, meanwhile!  I'm watching something else just now, but ASAP will see what they say on that fascinating subject!

The thing I'm watching just now is one of the items from the latest DVD set of Daniel Baremboim playing all five Beethoven piano concertos (birthday pressie from my sis).  Absolutely wonderful.  Jacqueline Du Pre would have been so proud of him, I can't help feeling.....

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #76 on: March 11, 2015, 03:27:18 PM »

Oh - do send more details as Himself needs ideas for Easter gifts, rather than giving me chocolates  ;)

Dulciana

« Reply #77 on: March 11, 2015, 09:19:28 PM »

It's a set of 2 DVD's filmed in 2007, on the EuroArts label, CLKD.    Daniel Barenboim and the Staatskapelle Berlin, live from the Klavier Festival Ruhr.   Beethoven Piano Concertos 1 to 5, over two DVD's.  Gorgeous!!   And lasts a lot longer than chocolates!   :)

Dulciana

« Reply #78 on: June 01, 2015, 09:31:00 PM »

Limpy - just read in another thread that Beethoven 7 is your all-time favourite!  So I thought I'd extend this thread by asking people - what's your all-time favourite piece of classical music?   Difficult to decide, but I think mine would have to be the last movement of Mahler's 2nd symphony.

CLKD

« Reply #79 on: June 01, 2015, 10:45:49 PM »

OK my Fav. concerto is : The Emperor
My Fav. duet [male] is from : The Pearl Fishers
My Fav. sonata is :  The Moonlight
My Fav. duet [mixed] : 'Oh Swan in the Moonlight', Boheme
My Fav. chorus : end of the Mikado

oldsheep

« Reply #80 on: June 02, 2015, 05:07:24 PM »

Ashkenazy (it must be him) playing the first 2 movements of Rachmaninov's Piano Concerto no 2.  So Russian, so romantic and (for me) his playing carries the pain of exile. It's made me cry every time I've heard it since I was young. I love him playing Chopin but this one gets me every time.

Classical guitar  - Paco de Lucia playing Concierto de Aranjuez by Rodrigo.

Limpy

« Reply #81 on: June 02, 2015, 05:42:07 PM »

Gosh Dulciana.
Now you're going to think I'me a fickle slut.
Yesterday, Beethoven 7 was the "all time" favourite, it's gorgeous I love it to bits.
Today, the third movt of Mahler 5 (yes, the one with the horn solo) is the one I couldn't live without.
There are just so many glorious pieces of music, and then everything gets tossed in the air again when it comes to the favourite piece that one has played in. Can't decide on that, it's a toss up between the last movements of Mahler 1 and Bruckner 8. As I said, I'me a bit fickle......  ::)

Dulciana

« Reply #82 on: June 02, 2015, 06:07:16 PM »

::)   I know the feeling, Limpy!

Oldsheep - yes, I agree so very much about Ashkenazy.  His sound on the piano is just like pearls.  Why did he have to stop performing as a pianist and go into conducting??   I'll never forget him performing Beethoven's 3rd and 4th piano concertos in one concert, years ago when I was a student.  An absolutely beautiful sound.

Limpy

« Reply #83 on: June 02, 2015, 07:09:21 PM »

Dulciana - Perhaps with Ashkenazy could it be the playing needed lots and lots of technical work / practice before performances (sound familiar?) With conducting perhaps it's more of a cerebral thing, not certain about that either   :-\

oldsheep

« Reply #84 on: June 03, 2015, 05:22:35 PM »

must have been what he found more interesting I suppose. Perhaps as you get older, it has more longevity as a career.
Must say I was a little bit in love with him after I heard him play - a reserved, polite man who had this incredible flood of emotion that he expressed so beautifully.

Limpy

« Reply #85 on: June 03, 2015, 05:43:59 PM »

I have to agree Oldsheep.

Somebody else I really like is Daniel Barenboim, both his piano playing and conducting.
He was on Desert Island discs when Sue Lawley was doing it. He was so funny, also it was very interesting hearing him talk of Jacqueline Du Pre. Apparently she wasn't diagnosed with MS until after she stopped playing  :(

Dulciana

« Reply #86 on: June 03, 2015, 07:06:03 PM »

I think with Askenazy, it had something to do with the way the powers-that-be in his country pushed him to play all the time and his turning to conducting was a bit of a reaction to that.  That's what I heard ages ago, anyway.   But it could have also just been him wanting a change as he reached a certain age, and less of the technical grind that must have been required in his everyday practice to maintain that standard.   But he is sooooo musical.

Oh Limpy, Baremboim is superb, isn't he?  My hubby bought me the complete DVD set of Beethoven piano concertos, performed and directed-from-the-piano by DB.  Really brilliant and a treat to watch.   

These people are so talented!   :)

Just thought of another piece that everything has to stop for, whenever it's played - Parry's "I Was Glad".  Always gives me goose-pimples.  Lucky royals at their wedding!

Limpy

« Reply #87 on: June 03, 2015, 07:22:40 PM »

It's funny the things which just stop you cold.
A year, or maybe two, ago there was a Verdi Requiem at the proms (can't remember who conducted).
In the dies irae, there were 12 trumpets playing offstage - right up in the gallery.
It was sublime.

CLKD

« Reply #88 on: June 07, 2015, 05:48:03 PM »

So - on my Desert Island I will take  ;D

I played a clarinet, the boyfriend at the time a big brass instrument and DH an eflatbass  ::) ……..

Dulciana

« Reply #89 on: August 21, 2015, 07:31:29 AM »

Did anyone see last night's televised Prom Concert???   Programme of 3 solo violin sonatas by Bach.    Absolutely amazing player.  Wow!   I went to bed in a trance.................!    (And there's more from the same player next Thursday!)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11