Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11

Author Topic: Music and musicians  (Read 52812 times)

Dulciana

Re: Music and musicians
« Reply #105 on: September 09, 2015, 11:22:48 AM »

LellyM - just wondering how your gig went, the other night......well, I hope!

Well, my musical marathon has started............:gym:    I think the concerto I'm practising for the concert in December is going well (says she  ::)......but you know - you get a feeling for these things, and I'd rather feel that way than the opposite!)  Think rehearsals will start in October.   As well as that, I've just started rehearsing with the local choir that I've just become accompanist for, and there's loads of music to learn up for that, plus concerts along the way.  I'm working with really nice groups of people for both of these and I'm looking forward to making music with both of them.  On top of these, my teaching continues every weekday afternoon and there are some super kids there.   So it's all very exciting. However.....this is going to really test my stamina, so I'm having to make really sure I get enough sleep, eat the right things, don't have too much coffee or alcohol, do relax.......etc., etc., etc  (and there's also Dad, and daughter, in the picture....)    Hubby'll keep me standing and I'll keep you posted!   
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 01:38:50 PM by Dulciana »

Limpy

« Reply #106 on: October 17, 2015, 05:38:44 PM »

Dulciana - How goes the Poulenc, have you played any of it with orchestra yet?

Dulciana

« Reply #107 on: October 19, 2015, 02:45:21 PM »

Limpy, thank you so much for asking!   We've just got back from holiday, so I've only just read your post.  However - not yet, but I've got my first rehearsal with the orchestra tomorrow.   Hoping I can have a really good night's sleep tonight!

Limpy

« Reply #108 on: October 19, 2015, 03:04:56 PM »

Enjoy it - it's a smashing piece.
I've been curious, when you practice your part, do you actually need an organ? Or can you "busk" using a piano given it's lack of organ type pedals........

Dulciana

« Reply #109 on: October 19, 2015, 03:18:46 PM »

Thanks, Limpy - I will!   
Well, to an extent, you can busk your part on a piano, but when the music goes into five parts, you really need an organ so that the pedals can cope with this.  Once you've got the notes, what makes all the difference to the music is the different sounds that you bring into play. For that, you need to select your "stops" and know which manual (or keyboard) to use.  Very often, your hands are playing on two different manuals at the same time - with different sounds on different manuals -and your feet are dashing about all over the pedals.  There are three manuals on the organ I'll be playing this on, so my hands will be dashing about all over the place, too.  I mean, honestly - who needs a gym???   ;D    It's like playing an orchestra all by yourself!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 04:10:28 PM by Dulciana »

Limpy

« Reply #110 on: October 19, 2015, 03:37:47 PM »

Gosh Dulciana, I knew the organ was complex but had no idea how much is involved.

Once upon a time there used to be a famous Horn player - Dennis Brain.
He not only was truly astounding on the horn but was extremely competent on the organ as well.
Apparently it was said at the time he could have had a career in either instrument.

Dulciana

« Reply #111 on: October 19, 2015, 04:15:36 PM »

Really?? I never knew that, Limpy.  Thank you for passing that one on!  I haven't heard any recordings of his playing, unfortunately.   Have you?   As an aside, the New York Philharmonic have a wonderful first horn, or at least did when we heard them in Tchaikovsky 5 several years ago.

Limpy

« Reply #112 on: October 19, 2015, 06:00:01 PM »

Yes I have heard recordings of Dennis Brain playing the horn. The word awesome is bandied around, however it is the  only epithet appropriate for his playing. When I was a baby horn player my teacher at the time just described watching him playing as "the horn just became part of him" - this from a seasoned brass band player and conductor, not renowned for being sentimental.

I don't know if there are any recordings of DB playing the organ - I'll have a root around....

I think I know the horn player you mention in the NY Phil - if I remember correctly he's not exactly svelte but is a truly excellent horn player.  Several years ago the orchestra for World Peace did Mahler 5 with an American lady - Gail Williams doing first without a bumper (somebody who sits alongside to boost the loud bits) she was so so good, no cracks at all.

Dulciana

« Reply #113 on: October 19, 2015, 09:42:13 PM »

I think I know the horn player you mention in the NY Phil - if I remember correctly he's not exactly svelte but is a truly excellent horn player. 

That's the one, Limpy!  My memory of that concert is of this absolutely velvety sound just purring out from where he sat playing.  Gorgeous.

Limpy

« Reply #114 on: October 20, 2015, 08:19:18 AM »

Dulciana - Sadly couldn't find any recordings of DB playing the organ.
I believe the comment re the ability to have a career in either instrument was made whilst he was at the Royal Academy where he did Horn, Piano and Organ. His organ teacher was G.D.  Cunningham, think it was he who made the comment

Dulciana

« Reply #115 on: October 20, 2015, 12:55:41 PM »

Thanks for having a look, anyway, Limpy.   I've seen there are several horn-playing recordings of him on youtube, which I'll have to listen to.  I suppose it's a bit like Daniel Baremboim being as well-known for his piano-playing as he is for his conducting.   Imagine being like that!

Dulciana

« Reply #116 on: December 08, 2015, 12:13:15 PM »

"The music side of my life is a bit too quiet for my liking right now. Hubby has been very busy performing here, there and everywhere but I'm only doing a bit of teaching. However, my son is doing well with is cello lessons, so I am enjoying helping him with his practise - he will be taking his first exam next term and has recently joined the school orchestra.
I bet you're busy playing at this time of year?"

Hi Honorsmum!   Glad to hear about your teaching (never say, "only"!).  I hope your son does well in his cello exam next term.  Cello is something I absolutely can't imagine getting my fingers round - I mean, the notes are so far apart!  Hats off to him and good luck!  Hope he's enjoying the school orchestra, too.   We've got a very active local Society of Musicians, where they held their annual Young People's concert last weekend.  They had people from 8 to 18 playing a whole lot of different instruments and ranging from Grade 2 to Grade 8-plus.  They were all invited because they're all good performers, whatever their standard and it was a lovely evening - more a musical party, really!   

Well, yes, this is a busy time of year.    All the Christmas services coming up and lots to prepare for those.  And I've got a concert this weekend - with a concerto - played by me, and written by Francis Poulenc!   Deep breaths...........chill..............exciting! (Hands, stop getting all sweaty....!)  ::)

Ju Ju

« Reply #117 on: December 08, 2015, 12:36:47 PM »

All the best for your concert, Dulciana!

Dulciana

« Reply #118 on: December 08, 2015, 10:32:07 PM »

Thanks Ju Ju!  Am I right in thinking you had a singing exam coming up?  If so, I hope it went really well!
D.

Ju Ju

« Reply #119 on: December 08, 2015, 11:30:20 PM »

I took my exam 2 weeks ago, so I should hear about my results soon. I've been discussing what to do once I've done grade5 and my singing teacher has suggested that the theory becomes very difficult from then on. I don't have any desire to learn to play a musical instrument now, so that inhibits understanding. So she thought the best way forward would be to concentrate on developing my singing without taking anymore grades. Actually, that sounds the best way to go and maybe frees me up to learn more varied songs.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11