Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: night sweats  (Read 3207 times)

zelda

night sweats
« on: February 01, 2015, 10:27:28 AM »

i have had to reduce my Activelle 1mg/-.5mg because i can't get my normal femeston 1/10 here in spain, i have noticed that i am now getting night sweats (similiar to those i used to get before starting hrt) and i am wondering if its because i am taking a lower dose, could it be that reduced progesterone is causing them and if i went to a higher dose they would stop?

Hurdity

Re: night sweats
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 11:01:33 AM »

Hi zelda

I'm not clear about your HRT - looks like Activelle is a conti (no bleed) HRT the same as Kliovance where you take the same dose daily whereas Femoston 1/10 is a cyclical HRT designed to give a monthly bleed. If you are not post-menopausal then this maybe the wrong type.

The progestogens are different so they will take a while to get used to as well as the fact that you have changed from cyclical to conti.  You can't compare the dosage (of progestogens) because they are different compounds. You definitely do not need more progestogens - the amount in HRT is more or less the right dose designed to keep the lining thin.

I do remember reading somewhere that norethisterone (which is a very powerful progestogen - the one in Activelle) can interfere with the oestrogen receptors elsewhere in the body (as well as the uterus) so could lead to an increase in hot flushes. I think some women have noticed this on cyclical HRT types that contain norethisterone.

Hurdity x

zelda

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 08:59:00 AM »

i was on femeston 1/10 for years but now i am 55 i thought it was ok to go on to conti.... i have no one to talk to over here for advice as my doctor does not speak english and the pharmacist has only a few basic words and i am ashamed to say i don't speak spanish. thanks for clearing up about the progesterone i wondered if i needed more of that but understand now that its no.... maybe i will just persevere until i move to ireland where i know you can get femeston... i will probably go on femeston conti though as it may be more suitable at my age.

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 11:05:33 AM »

Hi zelda

Thanks for explaining - yes fine to be on conti HRT now - but as I said you could be reacting to the norethisterone and sounds like would be better off back on the Femoston especially as you are taking it all the time. When do you move?

Hurdity x

zelda

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 08:58:26 AM »

in about 6 weeks, thankfully  :D i've not enjoyed living in Spain.

vanessa spain

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 01:01:43 PM »

hi i am also living in spain and since perimeopauce started about march last year i have found it hard living in spain the spanish doctor would only give me health supplements and lorozpram for sleeping so i paid to go to medcare the doctor gave me perifem hrt which hasnt helped they have such a diferant attitude here on menopauce vanessa spain x