Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Newbie - happy to be here!  (Read 3881 times)

Rhubarb

Newbie - happy to be here!
« on: February 01, 2015, 03:51:08 AM »

Hello,
I'm 48 and have been in perimenopause for nearly 4 years. First thing I noticed was my periods getting very regular, a month apart to the day, when they had always been very irregular before. When I started feeling increasingly emotional, anxious and irritable I knew I was perimenopausal. I've been married for 25 years and we have two children, a 22 year old daughter and 17 year old son. I've been on several other forums and I really enjoy them, and I hope to make some friends here  :)

Galadriel

Re: Newbie - happy to be here!
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 08:32:23 AM »

:welcomemm:

Hi Rhubarb. Welcome to the most supportive site you'll ever find for all things menopause as well as many other topics.

Galadriel x

Kathleen

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 10:08:59 AM »

Hello Rhubarb.

Welcome to the forum and happy to have you !

Take care.

K.

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 11:55:33 AM »

Hi Rhubarb

:welcomemm:

Hurdity  x

Briony

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 12:57:13 PM »

Hi Rhubarb, and welcome.   :)
Really interesting to read your post as I thought I was the only person whose periods have become more regular with the peri menopause, not less regular. (In fact, it sounded so unlikely, I've never really mentioned it on here before!). I've gone months all through my life without any - despite being fit and healthy -  yet now, in my early 40s, I get them every 28 days almost to the hour and I suddenly seem to have aged 20 years overnight!
x

Millykin

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2015, 01:25:27 PM »

Welcome rhubarb
Lots of good info on here. I don't have the regular periods so can't help there just wanted to say hi
X

Briony
I was just thinking that this morning about ageing overnight! I feel my skin is so thin and pale on my face all of a sudden. Trying to avoid mirrors lol x

Essexragdoll

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2015, 02:22:56 PM »

Welcome Rhubarb, you will find this a great forum, full of very knowledgable ladies.

My husband also mentions that I have been looking pale since my symptoms have got worse, and I have also noticed that I am darker around my eyes. Think we all need some sunshine. :)

Rhubarb

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2015, 08:44:24 PM »

Hi Rhubarb, and welcome.   :)
Really interesting to read your post as I thought I was the only person whose periods have become more regular with the peri menopause, not less regular. (In fact, it sounded so unlikely, I've never really mentioned it on here before!). I've gone months all through my life without any - despite being fit and healthy -  yet now, in my early 40s, I get them every 28 days almost to the hour and I suddenly seem to have aged 20 years overnight!
x
It's nice to know I'm not the only one too! I guess it's just the change in your periods that is significant, which for most people would be from regular to irregular. Mine had always been anywhere from 6 weeks to 2 months or more apart, and different each time.

Thanks for the welcomes! I think I first heard of this forum from a prolapse forum, one of their members is here also. I have read posts here many times, usually when I'm worried that something is terribly wrong with me, and I always feel much better knowing I'm not alone and realizing most of the things happening to me are hormone related.

I'm in the US and it seems most of you are in the UK, but I'm quite an Anglophile and when I've been over to visit friends in the UK I feel so "at home" when I'm there, I only wish I could stay longer. When I can't be there I watch British television, read mysteries, and meet up with friends in my Anglophile group.

It's Super Bowl Sunday here.  My husband and daughter will watch the big game but I don't care for football so my son and I will watch the Great British Bake Off. Series 5 is airing over here at the moment, we're only on episode 6 so please don't tell me who wins  ;D  Downton Abbey is on tonight too, series 5 episode 5. Husband and daughter might take a break from the game to watch that with me  :)

Dorothy

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2015, 09:19:42 PM »

Hello & welcome.  Love your user name - are you a rhubarb fan?

Rhubarb

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2015, 09:31:10 PM »

Hello & welcome.  Love your user name - are you a rhubarb fan?

Yes, I love rhubarb. We used to grow it in the garden when I was a kid and I really should try to grow some at my house. When it's in season I buy enough at the store to put in the freezer to use all year.  On my first trip to Britain in 1984 our cousins there made us rhubarb and custard. I'd never had it with custard and thought it was amazing. So I make it that way now, as well as in pies, crisps and crumbles. And I like to get rhubarb yogurt when I'm in the UK, it's not a popular flavor here :)

Kathleen

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2015, 11:30:37 PM »

Hello Rhubarb.

It's 11.25pm here at the moment and I'm off to bed but I just wanted to say that my husband and son are NFL fans. My son is living away from home but my husband is watching the game. Go Patriots !

Take care.

K. 

Rhubarb

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2015, 03:12:53 AM »

Hi Kathleen,
I think it's great that your husband and son are NFL fans. I've heard it's becoming popular there. Did your husband watch all the way to the end? It's just ended at 10pm here, so must be 3am for you!

CJ-sleepless

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2015, 10:02:06 AM »

Welcome - I love rhubarb too!

Kathleen

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2015, 10:21:30 AM »

Hello Rhubarb.

Yep, my husband stayed up until 3 am to see the whole match and both he and my son have been to see the Wembley London games several times. We have friends in San Francisco so the 49ers were the favourite at first but they like lots of other teams too, apparently the Cowboys have been pretty good and I'm told that it was a great game last night.

I bet you never thought American Football would be discussed on a menopause forum did you? Just goes to show there is something for everyone here! 

Wishing you well and take care.

K.

Dorothy

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2015, 11:25:30 AM »

Rhubarb is very easy to grow over here and much cheaper than in the shops, so you should think about growing your own.  I love it too - rhubarb fool, rhubarb and ginger jam, rhubarb and ginger ice cream...  I have a great recipe for rhubarb shortbread although I don't think I'll be making it much now as I only have to look at a cake to get fatter now  >:(
Pages: [1] 2