Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: post menapausal night sweats  (Read 3005 times)

gina123

post menapausal night sweats
« on: February 03, 2015, 08:31:52 PM »

hi been through menapause for 6 years still getting sweats..is this normal?
cheers
gina

gina123

Re: post menapausal night sweats
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 08:40:15 PM »

any help ladies would be very gratefully appreciated
x

Lynjane

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 09:39:29 PM »

Hi Gina, I had my last period 10 years ago, and was still having flushes, anxiety, panic attacks and mild night sweats regularly up until 3 or 4 years ago. Most of the symptoms have eased and occur much less frequently, but still happen occasionally. I never had extreme night sweats, some friends had to sleep on towels they got so wet, but my flushes were horrendous. I think most of us are different and experience the menopause differently, but in general I think you can probably  😳expect some symptoms to continue for some time yet...sorry! 😟

thorntrees

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 09:58:57 PM »

Hi Gina, I'm almost 9years post menopause and still have the odd daytime sweat and get hot at night.😣Things are getting better but its only in the last 6months that I've felt like I might be getting back to something like normal, never been on HRT but take citalopram and that has helped. From my reading up on the subject it seems quite a lot of women still get symptoms for some years after their last period- I never knew that before and thought it was just me!- lots of women suffer in silence because GPs don't acknowledge menopause can last so long. Probably not what you wanted to hear but at least you know you are not alone .

Thorntrees

bramble

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 10:08:29 PM »

I am 61 now and still very hot in bed. I have just taken it as a fact of life now. A lot of nights I sleep with no covers on (even in the frozen north!).

Bramble

Lynjane

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 10:50:32 PM »

I think after the menopause, even if flushes have stopped, some women are left with a higher temp setting than before! I know I certainly have. I was always freezing but now, the slightest exertion makes me over warm! I haven't had proper flushes for some time, but every now and then I get that familiar heat starting up in my head, just not as severe..thank goodness! 😳

Lynjane

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 10:52:33 PM »

Hi Thorntrees, just wondered why you're taking Citalapram as I understand it's an anti-depressant?

gina123

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2015, 12:32:02 PM »

i am in the cold north too bramble..live on the isle of mull

Kathleen

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2015, 03:07:23 PM »

Hello Gina 123.

Only the other day I was thinking, hey ho, 58 and still flushing albeit quite mildly.

A lot of us have been prescribed ADs for the menopause as apparently they help reduce night sweats. I wasn't sure I believed that but a few weeks ago I forgot to take my night time tablet and I did wake with a sweat so maybe they do help.

Wishing you well.

K.

thorntrees

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2015, 04:23:29 PM »

Hi Lynjane. I'm taking citalopram because HRT wasn't an option for various reasons and my GP said that citalopram has been shown to help with sweats. I am only on 10mgs and it seems to have helped in calming things down and with the general anxiety that comes with being hot and bothered.

Thorntrees

Lynjane

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2015, 10:42:13 PM »

Oh right, I didn't know it was prescribed for meno symptoms, I've never been able to take HRT either, because of blood pressure issues. Not sure I'd want to take Citalapram again, (took it about 6 or 7 years ago for mild depression) because meno affects your libido enough as it is...Citalapram left me completely cold for the few months I took it! Anyone else taking it noticed this?