Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: I don't know what is best  (Read 3004 times)

Cate23

I don't know what is best
« on: January 28, 2015, 04:02:52 PM »

Hello
I heard about this site from another forum and wonder if anyone can advise me what I should do/where I am.

I'm 49, about 20 months ago I started getting hot flushes and night sweats badly and my period was erratic and heavy. Things carried on like this for a few months when the hot flushes stopped and my period came along every 3 months or so.

The hot flushes/night sweats and insomnia are back with a vengeance and period has been no show for a while now. Libido and general mood is very low - though the sadness(I couldn't call it depression) could be linked to worries about my parent's health.

The questions are, am I peri or fully menopausal and would HRT be appropriate? My Dr has said in the past that they don't prescribe HRT and suggested herbal remedies. I am happy to get a private prescription if necessary.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks. Cate

Mrs January

Re: I don't know what is best
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 04:05:21 PM »

Hi Cate

I don't have the answers honey but couldn't just pass by. I had similar symptoms at 49 ...now 52 and continue on this peri.....meno or meno journey .....I can say we are all here to help and support you in any way we can.

Hugs and smiles

Mrs January xx

Cate23

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 04:13:22 PM »

Thanks Mrs January

I just didn't feel the doctor was very helpful when I spoke with them when this first started.

Cate x

Millykin

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 04:29:01 PM »

Hi cate
As far as I've made out on here your are classed as post meno when your are over 54 and haven't had a natural bleed for 1 year.
But if your are under 54 it's 2 years without natural period.
I'm sure someone will be along that's more clued up
X

Mrs January

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 04:59:33 PM »

Hi Cate

Personally I wish doctors we more clued up....my peri meno came and the same time as dreadful marriage so I ended up on SSRI's before I realised it was maybe meno symptoms....some days much harder that there but there is an end to this journey eventually. We will all help and encourage as much as we can

Love n hugs Lyn xx

Cate23

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 05:06:00 PM »

Thanks for the kind words.

I think I will go back and see the doctor as I'm finding it all really grim.

Watch this space :)

X

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 05:22:32 PM »

Hi Cate23 and welcome to MM
Do read up all the info under the headings to the left of this screen so you get really clued up. You sound as though you are suffering very typical peri menopausal symptoms and HRt may well be appropriate at this stage.  If you GPs are not helpful then ask for a referral to a Menopause Clinic or gynaecologist for further advice and help.
Here is a link to a very interesting article that may be of help to you:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2800760/should-women-hrt-menopause-experts-say-s-best-way-ease-symptoms-avoid-long-term-health-problems.html

DG x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 05:26:05 PM »

Cate - change your Surgery! If you are in the UK a GP is not allowed to tell a patient that they prefer to prescribe herbal remedies.  Herbal remedies are not available on the NHS  ::)  but HRT is .

Have a chat with a local Pharmacist and see which Surgery prescribes HRT without any issues ;-).  Ask for a referral to a Menopause Clinic as suggested or maybe the Practice Nurse is more clued up.  If your GPs are married, you could also ask how their wives reacted when told that HRT isn't available  :-X

Oh welcome too!  :foryou:

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 05:35:48 PM »

Hi Cate

:welcomemm: from me too.

You are classed as having gone through menopause if you haven't had a period for 12 months whatever age you are. Some women do have occasional period after 12 months have passed but the cut off date is 12 months to ensure that any subsequent bleeding is investigated to check for and in most cases, rule out endometrial cancer.

You are still peri-menopausal - but you can go on HRT. Yet another ignorant and unhelpful doctor.  As Dancinggirl says, HRT is most definitely appropriate and they cannot refuse to prescribe it to you in your situation - as CLKD says!

There is no way you shold have to get a private prescription and a doctor should be able to precribe HRT at your next visit if you have no underlying health reasons that it is not advisable.

A good doctor would also give you a blood test at this point - so that you have a baseline for  oestrogen levels, thyroid, vitamins, iron etc - but you can still start HRT.

Depleted oestrogen levels can definitely lead to low mood and libido - and make you less able to cope with life's demands.

Do please go back to your doctor having read up some of the excellent information on here.

Hurdity x

Cate23

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 05:52:55 PM »

Thanks. You have all given me the confidence to speak with them again. I'm truly fed up with looking like a beetroot all the time and feeling exhausted due to no sleep.
X

Millykin

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2015, 06:17:26 PM »

Thanks for clarifying Hurdity with age thing peri or post, it's the contraception thing I was thinking of and its 1 yr after age 50 2yrs under age 50 you need to cover yourself. Now I'm just wishing I had waited regarding HRT I had gone 10 months without a period

Cate hope you get it sorted x

carrs

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2015, 07:15:26 AM »

It's odd when gp's suggest various supplements when there is little evidence for them. After looking at site, you may be able to suggest a few treatments to your GP. I did that, but I wish I had done it 3 years earlier, at49, when I had the same symptoms as you. Good luck!

Kathleen

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2015, 05:10:57 PM »

Hello Cate23.

I just wanted to welcome you to the forum. There is plenty of support and advice available so you know that you are not alone on this journey.

Take care.

K.