Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: back pain  (Read 2519 times)

Poppi

back pain
« on: January 28, 2015, 12:40:31 PM »

Hi
I have had chronic back pain (lower left side) since April (I remember because I was at my darling Mum-in-Law's funeral when I noticed the niggle become a real pain). I went to an osteopath who diagnosed herniatic disc (result of very bad car crash 40 years ago when I was trapped in the car), went to GP who disagreed, had an X-Ray (no results yet) after seeing GP no. 3, saw GP no. 4 who thought osteoarthiritis. I'm on co-codamol+celebrex which helps but the pain is always there. I try from time to time to see if I need pills but the pain is awful. I was worried it was a tumour after speaking to a friend, but not worried about that any more. Is this just old age or can anyone suggest something else? I am an active-ish 55, walking helps enormously but getting up is hell! It's also far worse getting out of bed going to the loo during the night and 1st thing in the morning.

Thanks for reading this

Poppixx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: back pain
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 01:15:00 PM »

Chronic pain can be difficult to manage.  Do you have the X-rays from the accident to compare with current films? 

It may well be OA.  Any damage to bone structure can cause osteo arthritic changes as can ageing.  Ironing sitting down, altering how you sit - I have a pad behind my back to enable me not to slump and it helps me get up from the setts - maybe lower the mattress so that you can slide onto your knees? or heighten the mattress so that you can swing your legs over before standing.  Trial and Error I'm afraid  ::)

My acute pain in the buttocks over the nerve on t he outer thigh is caused by bending over antique cabinets  ::) - it took me 12 months to realise, the pain would be so severe I would wake screaming silently!  Now I take care when scanning jewellery etc.!

I would suggest contacting a physiotherapist at your Surgery/Hospital for advice?  I believe we can self refer these days! or have a chat with the personal trainer at your Gym/Leisure Centre?

margaret

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 06:56:08 PM »

Hi Poppy,

I'm sorry to hear about your back pain, I've had sciatica for the  last 7 months,  something that has helped me is taking a Yoga class, it's such a gentle way of exercising and has helped me so much.

xxx :-*

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 01:26:57 PM »

I have osteoarthritis in my lower back and after attending a back pain clinic at our local hospital I then took up Pilates - best thing I've ever done.  I now exercise 3 times  a week, mixture of gym/Pilates/aerobics - never thought I'd be able to manage any of it but it has made such a difference to my pain and my posture :)