Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Brown period blood  (Read 7211 times)

holly d

Brown period blood
« on: January 28, 2015, 01:39:18 PM »

Hi all you lovely ladies, hope you're all doing ok.

Sorry to post this at lunch time, but have been on biodentical progesterone for 3months now, last month very heavy period, this one dark brown blood and tiny pin size spot of red blood also period came early, is this the start of menopause or is it the progesterone kicking in? Periods over last 5 years have been very heavy. Any help greatly appreciated. I started to use the progesterone as a Naturopath said my adrenals weren't working well. xx Many thanks don't know how i got by without you all!

Hurdity

Re: Brown period blood
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 02:03:32 PM »

Hi there

Not sure who would look at MM while eating their lunch, so no need to worry about what you post! That would definitely be an acquired taste.....No screens at the table I say!

Anyway - re the progesterone and periods. Is the progesterone you are taking Utrogestan and is it part of HRT? Sometimes the withdrawal bleeds you get are minimal, and especially the further you get towards menopause.

During peri-menopause periods can get very heavy unfortunately, before eventually getting much lighter, further apart and then stopping Could you say a bit more about the dose of progesterone and how often?

Hurdity x

holly d

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 02:19:36 PM »

Hi Hurdity, that's very true! It's a wellsprings natural cream so not HRT, it was suggested by a friend. The dose is twice a day quarter tsp. It has made a difference to sleep, flushes and tearfulness. Have had sort of cramp twinges over last week, strange feeling in abdomen, then yesterday felt like i had possibly oestrogen surge,got very bloated and hot last night. I am 52 now and have had periods since age 9, had my only child at 21, you'd think my body would have got the message by now, there's no more children coming! Thanks for reply :)

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 02:46:02 PM »

I've always found I got some brownish discharge at the end of my periods and with the HRT withdrawal bleeds - I've always assumed this was the dregs of the womb lining at the end. When I was peri menopausal I got many days of this type of discharge or spotting. When on HRT I find it is often only this thick brownish stuff, so again it may be just what's left of the lining and it's older congealed blood.  TMI I'm afraid but I hope that helps.  Dg x

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 05:59:33 PM »

Wow that's a long time to have periods!!!

The wellsprings cream won't affect the bleeding at all. The dose of progesterone is so small that it doesn't have enough in it to thin the endometrium. It is most likely that your periods are naturally taking this course - ie after being heavy for some time they are getting lighter.

The symptoms you are feeling, as well as the lighter period could well be the beginnings of oestrogen depletion. Are they still generally regular? Unfortunately when they become erratic sometimes the cycles get shorter before coming further apart. Certainly that type of bleeding or lack of it is normal. If they become very frequent or you are worried then do visit the doc to get checked out - although anything and everything is normal with regard to bleeding in peri-menopause!

Hurdity x

holly d

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 06:30:27 PM »

Thanks for the replies Ladies, i always feel much better and more normal after posting on here. yep periods have always been very regular Hurdity, do you think maybe stop using the Progesterone? Sorry to ask so many questions, my GP hasn't been very helpful. xxx