Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Amitriptyline linked to dementia  (Read 16799 times)

Judith57

Amitriptyline linked to dementia
« on: January 27, 2015, 09:18:00 PM »

Oh dear, worrying articles in the news today linking long term use of common drugs, including amitriptyline, with dementia. The study concentrated on the over 65's so the possible effect on younger people is not known but long term use seems to give a 54 per cent higher risk of developing dementia.

I take 20mg of amitriptyline each night and don't know whether I should be worried.

What does anyone else who uses amitriptyline think about this latest news?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 09:20:17 PM by Judith57 »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Amitriptyline linked to dementia
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 09:31:28 PM »

Don't worry.  It depends on how long ago the 'study' was done, who funded it, how big a percentage of population was studied.  I usually ignore anything written in the Press and there are certain papers that I wouldn't put under my hens to roost over  ;)

We're a long time dead and if this helps your condition then keep taking it!

Judith57

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 09:40:37 PM »

Umm, it was on the BBC news this morning and the front page of The Times today. The study was by the University of Washington. I think I will carry on taking it for now but won't increase my dose  ???

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 09:48:56 PM »

Is it a recent Study though?  Some go back years and then suddenly appear in the Public Domain …………. it is important to find out who funded it all too  ;)

Several years ago it was aluminium that was linked ………..

Judith57

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 10:04:36 PM »

It doesn't say how recent the study is but just published in JAMA Internal Medicine - whatever that is  :-\

honeybun

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 10:15:49 PM »

I really wouldn't worry.

Over the years....if you listen to the press....everything has been bad for you, them good for you, then bad again.

If a drug is dangerous then it will be withdrawn after proper research has been done.

Unles you get a call from your GP carry on taking what makes you feel better. If you wait a week or two then there will be another report saying its good for you.  ::)

Honeyb
X

Judith57

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 10:23:24 PM »

I will see if they say anything when my repeat prescription is due....off to take my nightly dose now   ???

Joyce

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 10:48:53 PM »

Don't believe all these stories. Heck not so long ago we were being told that toothpaste could cause cancer. I'm not giving up on toothpaste. One day they tell you something is good for you, next it's not.

As HB says if it was found to be dangerous, it wouldn't be prescribed.

rosebud57

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 08:54:15 AM »

I wish I had your faith in drug companies cubagirl.  The fact is drug companies are commercial enterprises, and as such profit is paramount.  If they can manipulate their own research to indicate safety they will.  In addition to this there is often a large time gap between a drug coming on the market and discovering there is a problem.  In which time many people have been harmed,

My mantra is to use drugs only when absolutely necessary and for as short a time as possible.  They all have negative as well as positive effects on the body.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2015, 10:05:32 AM »

NOT all! I had 4 different ADs before I found one which suits, not perfect but it stops the depression and despair.  Without any, I wouldn't be sitting here now .......... I DEMAND quality of Life  ;) and my GP has learned not to argue ........

Rowan

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2015, 10:53:22 AM »

A friend in America posted today this, the report about dangers of some drugs including over the counter, is worldwide.

http://prescribersletter.therapeuticresearch.com/(X(1)S(s5qufu22glgibo45kx1ty5ej))/pl/ArticleDD.aspx?nidchk=1&cs&s=PRL&pt=2&segment=3860&dd=271223&AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

It must be a worry for the thousands of people taking or have taken the old type antihistamines. I know I have take them.

Coincidently at the moment I am reading a fascinating book called

"Unleash The Power Of The Female Brain" by Daniel G. Amen M.D

Its about caring and looking after the brain, I am wondering if it would be able counteract or even moderate the effects of taking these drugs.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 11:14:00 AM by silverlady »

Joyce

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2015, 11:19:03 AM »

Only one I've ever had is Amitriptyline, but was short term. My mum however, was on Imipramine for a very long time. She did develop Alzheimer's, but it ran in her family anyway so would be hard to tell if the drugs exacerbated the problem.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2015, 11:23:14 AM »

I hope we all realise that what we read in the press is often far from telling the full story.  The press loves the scary stuff.  The scares about The Pill back in the 70s and 80s.  The scares about HRT since 2002 - many of them wildly exaggerated and even doctors believed them without doing their own research. There are good and bad sides of every drug and sadly the positive sides of HRT have yet to be truly reported.
The eagerness of GPs to prescribe ADs and SSRIs instead of HRT may well be looked at with hindsight as very shortsighted and possibly very wrong. I know I am feeling physically and mentally better now I'm back on HRT and I am fully aware that I have a small additional risk of making breast cancer worse if I get it. Would I be feeling this good on an AD/SSRI -  possibly not and I certainly don't know the long term implications of using these drugs. If I can no longer take HRT and there is even a small risk of developing dementia with an AD/SSRI, then I would like to know that risk so I can make an informed choice. If studies are showing risks then I hope they will be included in the leaflet enclosed with the drug. At the moment breast cancer treatment is very successful if caught early whereas treatment for dementia is not very successful. Dementia is my biggest fear.  Dg x

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2015, 11:46:39 AM »

Also it is not told in the Press how many women die from other cancers and breast disease is from far the highest! it's often what is popular on the day.  I would like to see the Government bring in a good story/bad story scenario so that if a medication is 'found' to be dangerous, then on the same page the benefits of same medications should be published!
Pages: [1] 2