Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Help - Are Induction Hobs useful?  (Read 11632 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Help - Are Induction Hobs useful?
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2015, 04:31:25 PM »

AAAHHH ……… old fashioned methods are the best  ;)

Shall we have a charabanc trip for a cooker together then  :D

Limpy

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2015, 04:41:00 PM »

Thanks ladies.

It definitely looks like an induction hob will be the way to go.

Currently we have a freestanding cooker (24 years old). The reason for using this is the "built in" oven and hob that were already in the kitchen when we moved here died about 8 years ago. Himself is now keen to get an induction hob and new oven to replace the dead built in units. Oh, and he wants to get a better looking fridge freezer than the scruffy freestanding one lurking in the corner of the kitchen.

I know it's a good idea but I just feel a bit tired to get enthusiastic. Hey ho, sure things will look better in the morning  ::)

CLKD

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2015, 05:10:51 PM »

I'll go with him  ;) - I love buying white goods ……… except an iron  :whist:

Winterose

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2015, 08:22:25 PM »

do your research and buy the best you can afford, they are super efficient once you get used to them and look much nicer than gas, although you dont have the back up if the power fails, good idea to buy a small gas ring or little camping stove for power failures

oldsheep

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2015, 07:06:12 PM »

my gas hob's been playing up since OH spilled water all over it ( ::)) and I rang my friend's ex husband who's a scientist. He gave me 15 mins on the workings of induction hobs, most of which went in one ear etc.
Very technical. However he loves his. He cooks a lot. Only thing he said is moving from gas or electric, don't underestimate the power of the induction. Don't put it on a high setting and go off and potter about!
Also get one with a timer built in as some don't have it. He basically said he has an AEG, recommended by a German colleague of his, and get the best one you can afford. (like most things).
It's such a drag you can't try them out before you buy, unlike other electricals. I hate just looking at pictures and reading reviews online.

However when and if I change my kitchen, I'll def go induction. The only drag is they can turn off if you are stir frying and pick up the pan for a good shake. But you can work round that.
He said they are super easy to clean too.

honeybun

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2015, 07:59:02 PM »

It was the touch pad I couldn't get to grips with. I kept getting it all wrong and then when I thought I had it sorted I would lift the pan off to give it a stir and the damn thing would turn off and I wouldn't notice  ::)

I much prefer gas but I have ceramic just now. When I get round to replacing then I will definitely have a gas hob. I just love them, and if you do have a power cut you can still cook a meal.

Honeyb
X

Limpy

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2015, 08:06:22 PM »

I'me sure you're right HB.
Right now, OH has been changing his mind all day as to what combination of hob, oven and grill things we need.
It's doing my head in, I was ok just picking a free standing cooker.
But now it's what individual components would be best.
Oh, and the original hand made wooden cabinets need replacing. No great problem, except there aren't any competent carpenters around.........

CLKD

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2015, 03:55:23 PM »

As an aside and meander - do any of you use a cooker filter thingy ? if so why?
Pages: 1 [2]