Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How much do you spoil your pet  (Read 9143 times)

honeybun

How much do you spoil your pet
« on: January 26, 2015, 04:26:43 PM »

I bought my little Bichon a new bed this morning. I thought her old one was a bit hard for an old lady....she is 12.
Hubby said the bed is for me and not the dog as she is quite happy lying on the floor but this just looked cozy and comfy.....oh and pretty.
The dog is supremely uninterested in it but hopefully come bedtime she will settle.

We have so many toys for her she has a little toy box that she rummages in and takes out what she wants. The latest toy is a ball you fill with kibble and as she chases it around one pops out for her to eat.

How much do you spoil your pet and......why. Mine gives us both such love every day and she also makes me laugh as she is such a character.

Honeyb
X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: How much do you spoil your pet
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 05:25:30 PM »

I spoilt mine lots even the rabbits and chickens  ;D

2 of Our cats slept on/in our bed
the other had a lovely warm bed in the kitchen - deep blankets
the dog however: had 5 beds in the house - 1 bean bag and a chair in our bedroom as well as ::) and thick blankets in the car/s ….. a lead in each car; 3 collars; lots of towels which were on the radiator on wet days for when we got back from walks
she went on holidays with us - places we would never have gone to
the rabbits had good spaces but in hindsight they should have had more
the chickens therefore had plenty of space

Have you put an old blanket in the new bed Honeybun?  My dogs hated when their bedding was washed  ;D

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 05:29:47 PM »

Oh yes old blanket in new bed  ;D

They give us so much I just love to spoil her a bit. People in general think that a Bichon is a lap dog....white and fluffy and cute....ummm nope. She is a big dog in a little dogs body  ;D.

I think there is a difference between indulging and having a badly behaved dog and spoiling with interactive toys.

Honeyb
X

ariadne

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 07:24:26 PM »

Love my cat, have always loved cats. I love to see her happy and acting silly as cats do now and then.  It makes me smile a soppy smile when I see her curled up in her lovely red bed with her paws over her eyes. I just have to go and annoy her by fluffing her tummy.

I dont spoil her with food treats though as Ive found it to be a waste of money when she turns her nose up at an expensive food I buy for a treat so she just gets normal cat food and water.

My husband is a cat tolerator rather than cat lover but my son and I are very much cat lovers.

My cat has this funny thing she does with her catnip toy- we call it "the backward attack". She nonchalantly walks over the toy,as if ignoring it,  then steps backwards on to it with her back legs before attacking it with bunny kicks. So funny to watch.

Ariadne xx

honeybun

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 07:33:09 PM »

Bichons are originally circus performing dogs. They can jump very very high and sit up on their back legs and wave the front paws. When mine wants something she does not bark but goes up on her back legs and paws at the air. It's the strangest thing to watch. She does it for food and water and to get out.

I have seen other Bichons do it too. They sort of air box. She can also go around our living room by jumping silly distances. She has springs in her back legs.

Wish I had  ;D

Honeyb
X

ariadne

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 09:20:04 PM »

A bit like Pudsey? (Ashleigh and Pudsey that is) I remember seeing Pudsey doing that - a bichon frise cross.

Ariadne xx

Scampi

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 08:02:49 AM »

My jack russell is spoilt rotten!  She has a room full of toys - she loves anything stuffed that she can kill!  I check her toys over every day to make sure she hasn't torn one - she loves to remove the stuffing if she can  ;D  And if something squeaks it's the best thing EVER ... until she kills the squeak!

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 01:25:18 PM »

We have two greyhounds that are just a little bit spoilt :)  Our female never raced and we got her at 18mths after she failed her racing trials, she came into our household as companion to a much older male grey and learnt a lot from him.  Our newest addition is a male, he was an ex-racer who did extremely well at Gt Yarmouth race-track but sadly came from a kennel that is known for it's bad treatment of their dogs  :'(  It's been a long, hard slog with him but of all the greys we've owned he's the one who has given the most back, watching him slowly coming out of his shell.  Just this last month he's "learnt" to come to us for some affection, stroking or a good ear rub, by standing in front of us and nuzzling at our hands, it's so sweet to see.  If you stop before he thinks he's had enough he gently head-butts you to get you to carry on.  They have several sleeping areas - a large stuffed cushion, a soft dog-bed, their own sofa, our sofa if we're not sitting on it and several outside mats etc to lay on.  They have their own toy-box and I'll often go home at lunchtime to find them strewn all over the lounge floor.  It's hysterical watching them toss a teddy in the air then jump to catch it.......They have their own "sweetie" tin filled with dog treats and will both get up as soon as they hear that particular cupboard door being opened.  We work on the assumption that they've worked hard (well the male anyway) and now deserve a life of pampered retirement :) :) :)

bramble

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 02:35:12 PM »

I have 3 cats. One of them will not eat anything except her dried food. The other two will eat everything esp. if it has been on my plate! I started to give them at lunchtime some prawns - frozen so defrosted in the microwave. Now whenever the microwave is on, the youngest cat thinks it is for her and jumps up meowing all the time! When I buy a chicken to cook, I only eat the breasts, the rest is for the cats. Apart from that and lots of cuddles, I do not spoil my cats!! Huh! And of course they have got beanbags to sleep on during the day (at night they sleep with me). Have you seen the price of bean bags now? And an expensive scratching post because the cheap ones don't last.............Hmmmm! Spoiled? Maybe yes but they give so much back.

Bramble

Dorothy

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 03:08:15 PM »

How much do I spoil my dog?

Too much (according to me)

Not enough (according to the dog)  ;D

Though I wouldn't mind swapping with her any day!

honeybun

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2015, 04:23:13 PM »

I know some of us have said they want to come back as a man, personally I think coming back as a spoiled pet would be a really good option.  ;D

Honeyb
X

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2015, 05:20:46 PM »

I always said as a cat - however, knowing my Luck, I would be an alley cat  ;D and I don't want to be long-haired: Birman with a deep warm cushion and cream on command.

Dandylion

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2015, 05:52:43 PM »

Scampi: one of our jacks does this and it was ok until we got our border collie bitch...so any toy that now comes into the house must not squeak or it causes problems. :'(

We have sofa dogs.....I am on the sofa surrounded by the four of them now, 2 jacks and 2 b.c's...the first two are almost 12 and same litter. The other two are 14 months apart and half brother and sister.

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2015, 06:16:34 PM »

There's room on your settee  :o - I often found myself sitting on the floor rather than disturbing 2 cats and a dog …… >shush< or they would want something  ;D

honeybun

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2015, 08:26:37 PM »

Oh hubby does that....if the dog is where he wants to sit he moves....me...I move the dog  ;D.

Mine having cat tendencies perches on the back of chairs so doesn't take up much room.

Well she got into her new bed last night. Started to dig in it, turned it upside down on top of her and then barked to be rescued. Settled her down again and then again, at this point I was thinking of getting her old bed out of the garage   ;D
She eventually settled and was cuddled up happily when I got up this morning.

I have just booked her in for a cut and blow dry. I was not happy with the last place as I had pointed out some skin tags to be avoided and she still came home bleeding. This one has been recommended so I have high hopes. At £27 they better be half decent.....oh and not cut her.

Honeyb
X
Pages: [1] 2