Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Elleste Duet and periods  (Read 10100 times)

Chocolatechaos

Elleste Duet and periods
« on: January 26, 2015, 01:59:03 PM »

I have had random menstrual cycles in the last year from 22 days to 114 days along with numerous perimenopause symptoms. On 18th December I was prescribed Elleste Duet 1mg and started taking this straight away as my menstrual cycle was not predictable anymore. Within 3 days of the oestrogen tablets I started a period so about the 21st December. I understand I am going to have a monthly period on this hrt, but when do you usually get a period. Presumably after the green tablets but how long? I have had about 9 oestrogen tablets of my second pack, no pms symptoms or period yet. Sorry, but a little confused here!!

Also does this reduce the anxiety symptoms and when might this settle down. I think these have eased but not eradicated (perhaps I am expecting miracles).

Thank you

Hurdity

Re: Elleste Duet and periods
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 03:25:32 PM »

Hi Chocolatechaos

You weren't to know your period was going to start within three days - but that would only have put your "cycle" out of sync with the HRT by 3 days. As you see when peri-menopausal the cycle is notional because they are so variable.

The withdrawal bleed can occur late in the combi (progestogen + oestrogen) phase or just after the changeover to the oestrogen only tablets. If you don't have a withdrawal bleed it means the lining hasn't built up sufficiently to be shed, and this does occur with a proportion of women on cylical HRT. Nothing to worry about. You may well get a bleed next time. Sometimes when there are surges of hormones during peri-menopause your cycle may well break through the HRT and you could get bleeding at the "wrong" time - but eventually as your own cycle weakens any withdrawal bleed will be fairly predictable.

Did you read the article on peri-menopause on this site? http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/article-perils-of-the-perimenopause.php

I can't help with the anxiety symptoms although these are usually caused by oestrogen deficiency or sometimes aggravated by synthetic progestogens. You might find a transdermal HRT is more helpful as the oestrogen gets straight into the bloodstream and delivers a more consistent dose.

Hope this helps

Hurdity x

Chocolatechaos

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 08:35:52 PM »

Thank you Hurdity, the article was very useful. I didn't think that the hrt would put my cycle too far out of synch so I guess it is going to be naturally sporadic for a while yet then. I am up for a review with the gp in a couple of weeks and will discuss it then. I have been ok on elleste duet but I do notice that it takes a little while after my morning tablet before things settle down. I get symptoms badly in the morning and wondered if my blood levels of oestrogen fluctuate taking tablets and that patches might provide more consistent levels?

So many options it seems!

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 08:56:40 PM »

Hi again - patches will deliver a more consistent dose and avoid the daily spikes you get with tablets. Have you tried taking the tablets in the evening or are you meant to take them in the morning?

Hurdity x

Chocolatechaos

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 09:07:31 PM »

I decided to take the tablets every morning as I am always at home. I do night shifts so don't always make it to bed at a regular evening time. I may have to change that though on further reflection. I will mention patches to my gp though.