Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Durham tragedy  (Read 10613 times)

jedigirl

Durham tragedy
« on: January 24, 2015, 01:50:22 PM »

I feel so sad as another student in my town has drowned in the river. His poor family and what a waste of  a young talented boys life. If investigations show drink and river safety are to blame again(2 other young deaths in the past 14 months) something must be done to protect these young people who are after all barely past childhood and vulnerable away from home. My heart goes out to him and his family xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Durham tragedy
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 01:53:23 PM »

I love Durham City.  However sad this is, they are young adults ……… they can be given the basic skills and advice, after that … same with drink/fast driving, drugs, bungee jumping …….

Joyce

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 01:58:12 PM »

So sad. Been similar deaths recently  near our daughter's in Notts. They live near a canal.

jedigirl

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 01:58:22 PM »

CLKD, yes no doubt young adults get into trouble though I think more could be done to prevent them being by the river on a night. We are a fairly small town , it wouldn't be too difficult to block steps down to the river after a certain time on an evening or fence off areas of danger.

Millykin

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 01:59:13 PM »

It so sad hearing this, youngsters out looking for fun and thinking nothing will happen to them. More can be done. It has happened here locally a few times last ones being Aug 2013 when we were in Menorca and girls read on FB, all over papers when we got home, they were friends of the boys siblings so sad.
Heart goes out to families
X

jedigirl

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2015, 02:01:38 PM »

Water and youngsters don't mix well cubagirl , very sad

Joyce

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2015, 02:06:27 PM »

Whether accidental or deliberate, it's just so sad. I'm always terrified when our granddaughter runs along canal bank. Path is about 4ft wide, but one slip or trip...... Yes she can swim, but it doesn't bare thinking about.

honeybun

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2015, 02:16:00 PM »

A young medical student fell from a window in Edinburgh recently. Tragic really.

Drink and drugs play a very large part in this kind of thing. They loose all caution and control. Some of the things my daughter told me she had seen in halls made my blood run cold.

I remember the incident that you are talking about Milly. My daughter knew some people that were there. Dreadful thing.

Honeyb
x

jedigirl

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2015, 02:21:23 PM »

Yes, cheap drink offers in pubs should be illegal I feel. Its too easy for them to get wasted in no time on little money. Also I do think the riverside areas near to the pubs and student bars could be made safer to try and prevent this happening again.

honeybun

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2015, 02:25:11 PM »

I so agree. Kids.....and that's what they are, can go out for a night with £10 and get absolutely wrecked. Drink is far too cheap and most students are hard up but if they can get drinks for a £1 what chance do they have.

Honeyb
x

jedigirl

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2015, 02:31:33 PM »

Absolutely honeybun. I just hope lessons are learned this time. One death was awful, three is heartbreaking. X

honeybun

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2015, 02:39:56 PM »

Unfortunately I think that pub revenue seems to be more important than the safety of our young people. The government look to the wrong things. Something needs to be done to protect our youngsters. If that means pricing them out of the drinks market then so be it.

Honeyb
x

jedigirl

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2015, 02:46:31 PM »

Couldn't agree more. It breaks my heart to think of those parents. We owe these youngsters a safe city whether they come from Durham or study here. Young people will always push the boundaries, as we did but let's protect them where we can

Millykin

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2015, 02:51:10 PM »

There's a place near us HB where they go jumping off the pier in summer (p) I hate hearing the youngsters saying their heading there, I once heard a group of kids saying they were heading their and knew my niece was going do I drove down and put her straight in the car! Needless to say the rest followed and headed home. Went to her mums work and told her and what a bollocking she got, I couldn't live with myself if I knew she was there and I left it. I had done it previously to my own daughter when she was younger, no drink involved but just plain stupid
X

honeybun

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2015, 03:56:15 PM »

I know where you mean Milly. It's scary but worse when alcohol is involved.

I know we did silly things but there never seemed to be the emphasis on drinking that there is now. In my day  ;D it was still looked down on for a girl to be drunk.

Changed days.

Honeyb
X
Pages: [1] 2 3