Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: cholesterol  (Read 4072 times)

sue23

cholesterol
« on: January 23, 2015, 10:36:09 PM »

:(Hi my cholesterol came back 7.5 which they say is high, would like me to go on statins, but I have bad feelings about them, do not eat a fatty diet,  I have seen in magazine that the menopause could cause this, any information would help many thanks, I am 100% menopausel.

Joyce

Re: cholesterol
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 11:33:41 PM »

Mine went up to 6.8 recently, statins not required.  A couple of years back I'd got it down mainly by watching my weight & exercising. However, I lapsed.  ::)

I read an article on statins recently. Hubby read another one which I can't find, done in Scandinavia. Both suggest that statins aren't maybe the way to go.

http://www.webmd.com/cholesterol-management/news/20140818/statins-side-effects-news

marras

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 09:07:18 AM »

Hi Sue23, both my sister and I have elevated cholesterol levels despite us both having had a low fat diet for many, many years and lots of exercise. We have both been told it's genetic and there's not a lot we can do about it. Interesting eh? ;)

Rowan

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 03:58:42 PM »

Oral HRT can have small benefit on HDL levels as it goes through the liver, but oral estrogen raises triglycerides.

Topical estrogen (patch and gel) is said to have a neutral effect on triglycerides but no beneficial effect on cholesterol.

I wouldn't rely on HRT to control cholesterol levels.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 04:11:25 PM by silverlady »

Cassie

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 07:06:09 PM »

Anyone followed the Banting Diet which totally contradicts the fact that fats apparantly elevate cholesterol levels, the powers that be say that it is carbs and sugar which are the enemy not fats, interesting and many people have followed it and said not only have they lost weight but their cholesterol and sugar levels have reducted & stabilised. Each to their own, I guess.

Winterose

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 08:55:06 PM »

Look at Dr Briffas blogs, lots on there about statins, while the anti inflammatory effect helps men they dont seem to operate the same way in women so amongst the anti statin brigade the thoughts are they are not much use for women.  There are some good books on Amazon about statins,  one is called The Cholesterol Myth or lie - cant quite remember , written by a Scottish Doctor.