Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Vertigo  (Read 5660 times)

Greyhoundgal

Vertigo
« on: January 23, 2015, 01:31:39 PM »

Just before Xmas (23rd Dec) I started to feel quite peculiar.  It started just as I was leaving work for the day and had to bend down to put a back-up tape into our server, felt a bit dizzy but just thought I'd got up to quick then bent over straight away.  That night in bed every time I moved my head while turning over the feeling came over in waves, most unpleasant.  That lasted about 4 days but then it started happening during the day as well, as often as every 20mins/half hour.  I saw my nurse last week for an HRT review and mentioned it to her and she made me an appointment to see the GP later that same day.  GP did a fairly thorough investigation of ears and eyes and had me sitting up & down on the bed whilst watching my eye movements.  She's gave me some Prochlorperasize 5mg tablets to take for just over a week (finish them today) and although they have helped a bit it's still not really gone.  At lunchtime I went to see my beautician and had a HOPI ear candle treatment to see if that would make any difference but can't say I'm feeling any benefits from it yet.  I have to go back and see the GP next week but just wondered if anyone else had this and if so did they find anything that helped them?

Essexragdoll

Re: Vertigo
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 03:15:13 PM »

Not sure if this is the same as your symptoms, but I feel lightheaded a lot of the time and also get strange brain zaps like my brain has wobbled in my head. Also sometimes when I move my head it takes my eyes a split  second to catch up. I am not on HRT (got my first prescription today but have not taken it yet.

Rowan

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 03:33:46 PM »

Suzyq

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 03:39:07 PM »

I had it very severely for 2 years - wasn't labyrinthitis or bppv or menieres etc etc but these things are very easy for an ent to determine! Mine was solved by adding progesterone!!

Ps I used a homeopathic drug called vertigoheel which really helped - I was sceptical but it did help and several of my friends have also used it and found some relief!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 03:40:46 PM by Suzyq »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 04:39:46 PM »

Hopi ear candling won't make any difference - if this worked it would be available on the NHS  ;)

Vertigo is awful.  I know the moment I wake before I open my eyes if I have an attack.  Daren't move.  My GP gave me Stugerone [sp] and another drug …. to stop any nausea.  Mine usually occurred after a head cold.

Joyce

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2015, 04:28:09 PM »

Labyrinthitis possibly. I felt dreadful with it. I felt drunk when I walked. Stopped driving & used buses, but even seeing things moving past windows sent my head in a spin.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2015, 05:27:01 PM »

I was unable to stand, I had to crawl to the bathroom and lay still until the medication worked.

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 01:23:58 PM »

Thanks ladies.  Well, interestingly it seems to have stopped!  I finished my meds on Friday, felt a bit strange on Saturday and ended up getting some of the Sea Bands to see if they would help at least with the nausea and yesterday - nothing at all  :)  My head still feels a bit "woolly" (can't really explain it) but no more of the horrible dizziness and nausea that I was having.  No idea what has made it go away, just hope it's permanent.  I cancelled my GP appointment for this morning on the understanding that I might have to re-book it if it comes back but so far, so good.  I did feel in the lead up to Christmas that I was coming down with a cold or something but it never developed so maybe I just had some sort of infection in my ear canal? 

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 01:45:26 PM »

Good job that it's gone!

Briony

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 11:14:27 PM »

Could be worth noting the dates of when this happened, in case it reoccurs. Pre HRT I had it a lot. Now I just get it occasionally, usually when I'm at the end of my period. I assume it's a result of my estrogen being low or else it is fluctuating x

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2015, 01:14:03 PM »

Could be worth noting the dates of when this happened, in case it reoccurs. Pre HRT I had it a lot. Now I just get it occasionally, usually when I'm at the end of my period. I assume it's a result of my estrogen being low or else it is fluctuating x

Good idea Briony, I have actually kept notes in my diary of when I was having the attacks.  Still feel slightly off-balance but generally it seems to have passed thank goodness.

Briony

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2015, 08:08:24 PM »

Definitely keep a note of dates and symptoms - it'll help to pin point whether hormones are to blame or not x