Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: New on oestrogel, anxious and need reassurance please.  (Read 13658 times)

Hankypants

Re: New on oestrogel, anxious and need reassurance please.
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2015, 08:15:04 PM »

Ps im in essex too

Essexragdoll

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2015, 09:46:34 PM »

I really hope you get some relief, please keep in touch and let us know how you get on with prof s.
It maybe a route I consider if things don't improve.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2015, 10:28:20 PM »

Hi Hankypants
Do stop worrying about any product you may be using.  I just make sure I've washed my inner thighs (where I apply the gel) hasn't got any cream of any sort on them.  I always wash in unscented vegetable soap and never apply body lotion to my inner thighs.  It just becomes a habit as time goes by.  As Hurdity said, it's because you don't want anything to prevent the absorption of the gel.

You are clearly feeling that you are a failure because you aren't like your sisters and sailing throughout the meno with ease? Well you got the 'joker card' your sisters avoided and you are one of the 40% or so who have a rough time.  You are already getting post from other ladies suffering like you - you are not alone. The difference for us these days is there is help and you are getting it.

I do think patience is the key to success with this HRT regime.   I also think it is important to give yourself a good routine of small regular meals, go to bed at the same time and get up at the same time each day - don't try to sleep in in the morning if you haven't slept well.
Read funny books, watch funny or uplifting films or TV programmes - in other words, surround yourself with positive things.
So great you have a dog - do as much walking as you can - really the best therapy.
DG x

Hankypants

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2015, 10:36:18 PM »

Thank you dancing girl. I appreciate all you say. I am trying my best but my brain is shattered.

I will have a fresh start tomorrow.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2015, 10:40:42 PM »

Sweet dreams.  DG x

Hurdity

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2015, 12:58:07 PM »

Hi Hankypants

I'm not sure if anyone answered your point about bleeding?

Taking extra oestrogen will not prevent your period - your periods will carry on doing what they were going to do  - in your case you said they were becoming irregular. Do make a note of your bleeding - when it starts and stops. I see from your post that Prof Studd has said to take the extra oestrogen for 10 weeks before considering whether to add a progestogen.

I imagine he has said this so as to see if the extra oestrogen makes a difference to how you feel over several cycles - since it is the progestogen in HRT which often causes the most problems once the body has acclimatised to oestrogen added externally.

However, if the lining thickens too much then this can also cause bleeding although it would be surprising if this happened in only 5 days. Also in peri-menopause sometimes there are cycles where you do not ovulate and there is less progesterone so the lining will continue to thicken - which can also cause sporadic bleeding ( although this is not a proper period as such).

I can't remember if I linked to this article on peri-menopause so here it is in case I didn't: http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/article-perils-of-the-perimenopause.php

As I said, keep an eye on the bleeding and contact Prof Studd if it is of concern (did he suggest this?). I would hope you wouldn't have to pay again to report problems? If so your GP would be the first port of call and then perhaps s/he could contact Prof Studd if necessary?

Hurdity x

Hankypants

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2015, 04:35:34 PM »

Thanks very much Hurdity.

My period isn't (wasnt) due until the 22nd and it only came yesterday so I suppose it's only 4 days or so out. The oestrogen probably did that. I will, as you advise, make a note and ask professor studd. I am just hoping there is enough oestrogen and testosterone in my body to prevent another relapse.  :-\

Hankypants

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2015, 12:38:37 PM »

My blood tests have all come back normal.  :'(

Hurdity

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2015, 12:56:47 PM »

Hi Hankypants

Firstly not sure why you are upset about your blood tests?  Better normal than abnormal surely? Secondly and more important - normal is such a meaningless term for doctors to use especially when talking about female hormones which vary hugely with age and stage in the cycle!!

I suggest you phone up and ask for the detailed results (I've done this when mine have come back) and ideally ask for a print-out and maybe also these will give the reference ranges for each substance measured. Prof Studd will be able to interpret them too in the light of your treatment so don't despair!

Hurdity x

Hankypants

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2015, 01:07:52 PM »

Hi Hurdity,

Thanks for replying. I have the print out here and I have sent a copy to professor studd. What worries me about it saying 'normal' against everything is that if its all normal does it mean im not in peri and if not then what on earth is wrong with me. 😪

Essexragdoll

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2015, 02:47:52 PM »

My sister in law has had numerous blood test to determin if she is peri and they have also all come back normal, she is feeling really I'll most of the time, with horrendous periods, hot flushes and depression. The last time she visited the GP she spoke to a nurse who explained that the blood test can never be exact due to our flutuating hormones. It made her feel a bit better, as like you, she was worried about all her symptoms.

Hurdity

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2015, 04:36:32 PM »

As Essexragdoll says symptoms are more important than blood tests and hormone levels fluctuate!

What readings have you been given for estradiol, TSH, FSH and testosterone and does it give the references ranges for any of these (although can find these on the web)?

As an example, one woman on here a while back was told by her GP that her results were normal - and of course the doc was meaning normal for a post-menopausal woman - not taking into account that these will be low and would explain why she was feeling like she was. Normal for estradiol can be anything from below 100 pmol/l up to higher than 1500 pmol/l depending on where in the cycle you are, where in peri-menopause and whether you are taking HRT!!!!! Remember also this is only one reading at one time in your cycle....

Try not to worry about the blood tests and concentrate on the fact that you are now having hormonal treatment which is designed to make you feel better for more of the time (HRT is not the perfect solution but we should feel better overall if it is working).

Hurdity x

Briony

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2015, 11:26:13 PM »

Hi Hankypanks

Not much more that I can add which hasn't been said already. I know many of the ladies who've replied to you have been instrumental in getting me back on to the road of 'old me' again. Hope they do likewise for you  :)

Don't let the 'normal' blood test worry you . I have found mine can range from severely deficient in estrogen to high normal depending on my body's mood. This is the joy of being in peri menopause!

From experience, I would advise you to think VERY seriously before taking Duloxetine . I learnt the hard way and believe me, it wasn't pleasant. I was prescribed it for severe nerve pain and ended up in casualty within 48 hours. Once I got used to the side effects, my body gradually accepted it and all was fine for a while. It wasn't until I was diagnosed with a hormonal cause for my pain and was told to come off the Duloxetine  that the problems really began. It is really, really hard to withdrawal from it, not least because the lowest dose is 20mg so many people end up having to count the individual beads in the capsules in order to cut down gradually and avoid the horrible 'brain zaps'. Do research the withdrawal info online (also known as Cymbalta).  I so wish I had done so!

I know we're all different, but I have to say I feel so much better on more natural HRT than I did on the Duloxotine or Amitriptyline as it's what my body is lacking, not an alien substance like the ADs were.

Good luck xxx

« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 11:28:50 PM by Briony »

Hankypants

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2015, 09:19:43 PM »

Oh my word!!!!!!

Thank you briony. I haven't taken the duloxetine thank goodness!
Pages: 1 [2]