Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Endometriosis & HRT  (Read 2205 times)

CJ-sleepless

Endometriosis & HRT
« on: January 23, 2015, 11:08:30 AM »

I thought I'd start a new post about this rather than tag onto my newbie post - I suffered with endometriosis and had hysterectomy retaining ovaries 10 years ago.  I've been told I need the combined HRT as a result of having had endo, but wondered if anyone has tried without the progesterone and how significant the risk is?  I only ask as it seems to me that its the progesterone that seems to cause the PMT type symptoms (from what I've read).  Not keen on endo returning obviously, but if the risk is small I'd consider doing without the progesterone!  I've been searching for relevant info but it seems there's not much research out there - I'm sure someone here will know more!!

dahliagirl

Re: Endometriosis & HRT
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 11:24:04 AM »

I don't know from personal experience, but someone I know who had really bad endo, with 3 ops resulting in hysterectomy then removal of remaining ovary and endometriosis has been on the lowest oestrogen patch she can tolerate for at least the last 10 years, so it does happen.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 12:00:54 PM »

I am certainly no expert but I understand it is usual to have progesterone if you suffer from endometriosis to prevent the chance of a build up in the surrounding area and consequently bleeding. Yes, progesterone can be an issue fro some women but not everyone reacts badly to synthetic progesterone - in fact many women do very well on it.  Perhaps try something like Femoston which has a kinder progesterone and if that isn't right for you then try Oestrogen in patch or gel form with Utrogestan - many of us are now using this combo with great success. 
We've had a few ladies on here recently actually saying they feel better on the progesterone part of Femoston so this is why I suggest you try this first. Maybe you could try the sequi version first to see how you feel on the different phases and then move to the contniuous version if you find the progesterone part OK?
One of the first things I notice when I go back on HRT is the better quality sleep you get - such bliss!   
I think it is very important to keep an open mind and not expect there to be problems when you first take HRT - try to keep busy and let the good things emerge gradually. DG x

CJ-sleepless

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 12:41:47 PM »

Thanks ladies - I'm going to ask for the Femoston and try that - the premique is really not suiting me at all - the thought of better sleep is enticing - I honestly cannot remember the last time I slept for more than 3 hours straight  :'(