Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Help please Norethisterone  (Read 13808 times)

whensitend

Help please Norethisterone
« on: January 21, 2015, 05:56:49 AM »

Hello, Im on Norethisterone 5mg 3 a day since last year.
I dont like the side effects of weight gain (3 stone) and hard to not put more on.
My stomach has distended , look like a pregnant woman.
I have cramps  anywhere in my body ,worst place the stomach, if i sneeze or yawn or even cough i am in pain. I have coughing fits , one was so bad thought i would die, not sure if the coughing is related but never used to do this, choke on even water or saliva.

I would like to know is there an alternative medicine that will do the same ? which is stop me bleeding to death basically, that wont make me puke and that i can crush as cant swallow tablets. I know of the coil and other things but dont want the coil , not keen on surgery etc

Also i would like to know how do i know when ive finished the menopause ? as the Norethisterone has stopped me bleeding , i dont get periods now. is there a test that can give me that answer ?

Dancinggirl

Re: Help please Norethisterone
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 09:27:15 AM »

Hi whensitend
You poor thing.  Excessive bleeding is horrid. I'm afraid your only option would probably be to have a Mirena fitted.  I had one for 4 years and it was fine - many women are very happy with it.
It is not fitted with any kind of surgery - I had mine fitted at the menopause clinic with just a bit of local anaesthetic. If you haven't had children then it may be wise to ask for a general anaesthetic as it could be trickier to fit but you would need to chat with the doctor about that.
How old are you? Are you over 54?
As to knowing when your menopause happens; some blood tests to look at your FSH and oestrogen levels would probably indicate what is happening, although these can be unreliable as the hormones tend to fluctuate for some years before going into post menopause.
I think you need to have a good chat with your GP about all this.  If, like me, you get tongue tied when you see the GP, write down the problems you are having and a list of questions and show it to them - I find it saves time and helps the session go better.
Keep us posted.  Dg x

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 05:10:21 PM »

Hi whensitend

Sorry to hear about your problems with norethisterone and heavy bleeding.

In addition to the Mirena as Dancinggirl suggests, there are other physical treatments such as an ablation which can help if you would rather not take such a strong progestogen. There is some good information on this site about bleeding http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/heavyperiods.php and treatments http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/periodtreatments.php (left hand orange menu and sub-tabs).

If you don't like tablets, the coil or surgery then it's a question of the least worst option for you! if I was in your position I would definitely ask for an ablation - if the heavy bleeding persists.

Were your periods infrequent or irregular before you started the norethisterone? Have you had any other symptoms such as hot flushes, night sweats etc - although if you are taking other medication (eg some Anti-depressants) these might be controlled so you wouldn't have any idea where you were apart from blood tests as Dancginggirl says, or stopping the norethisterone and see what happens. If you are are below the natural average age of menopause which is 51-52 then taking oestrogen would be advisable to protect your bones and heart amongst other things, even if you don't have any menopausal symptoms.

Hurdity x

whensitend

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 11:03:04 PM »

hi Dg and Hurdity. Thanks for your replies.
I dont want the coil and not keen on any surgical proceedure , I am hoping to find  alternative tablets, that dont have so many unwanted side effects.
I am 52 and have had night sweats , tho dont get many now but do get hot , boiling hot and sweat more than i used to. my periods were always on time every 3 weeks til i had the bleeding to death  episodes , and started my periods at 11.
my GP is not so good now .  I dont take any other medication.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 10:02:14 PM by whensitend »

peegeetip

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 05:17:57 PM »

the weight gain can be due to other issues not just prog only hrt.

at our peri/meno ages our bodies slow down and so does our metabolism.

often Thyroid issues can kick in at the same time further increasing the possible weight gains.

its normally estrogen thats associated with this anyway and prog part is supposed to increase our metabolism apparantly :) ???

In terms of your bloating and pain you really need to get to the doc and get that checked out.

:-*

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 05:27:12 PM »

Hi whenitsend

There is another progestogen that can be given as part of HRT but not sure if it is prescribed just for heavy bleeding? It is called Provera or MPA and is listed here:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/to_progestogens.php

If you were able to take that you could then add in a low dose oestrogen patch or gel which would help with your other symptoms.

Unfortunately weight gain is listed as one of the side effects that can occur with norethisterone but as peegeetip says other factors kick in as we age and head towards menopause.

"Metabolism and nutrition disorders: hyperglycaemia, changes in appetite or weight gain, oedema and fluid retention, hypercalcaemia, hyperinsulinaemia, and the potential for changes in serum lipid and lipoprotein concentrations to occur with norethisterone."
http://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/7257/SPC

You don't put on weight as such with oestrogen but the hormone is responsible for maintaining the female "pear" shape and affects fat distribution. There is information on this site about weight gain in menopause:

"When women gain weight after the Menopause the distribution of where it settles alters. An extra pound before the pre-menopause will settle evenly over hips, bottom, thighs and arms. After the menopause it ALL goes round the middle! Hence the term "middle age spread" or " midriff". A fairly modest weight gain can thus result in a change of dress size."

"Women often complain that HRT causes them to gain weight. Some women resist taking HRT for fear of weight gain but there is no scientific evidence that HRT causes weight gain. HRT should help you sleep better and therefore feel better, giving you more energy so that you are able to tackle excess pounds by exercising. You are less likely to "comfort eat" if you feel good. However, a very small group of women may develop fluid retention with HRT (up to 10lbs in a month) but much more often it is mild and will settle in 4 to 6 weeks."

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/weightgain.php

Hope this helps!

Hurdity x