Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Calories [NHS web-site]  (Read 8687 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Calories [NHS web-site]
« on: January 24, 2015, 01:39:35 PM »

The following is more for my benefit but do join in :

"Calories are a measure of the amount of energy in food. Knowing how many calories are in our food can help us to balance the energy we put into our bodies with the energy we use. That's the key to a healthy weight.

We measure the amount of energy contained in an item of food in calories, just as we measure the weight of that item of food in kilograms.  If you're trying to lose weight, it's a good idea to eat less and be more active. Eating less is important when you're trying to lose weight, even if you already have a balanced diet.

Calories and energy balance:

When we eat and drink, we're putting energy (calories) into our bodies. Our bodies then use up that energy, and the more physical activity we do, the more energy (calories) we use.

To maintain a stable weight, the energy we put into our bodies must be the same as the energy we use by normal bodily functions and physical activity. If there are some days where we put in more energy than we use, then there should also be days where the opposite is true, so that overall the energy in and energy used remain balanced.

Weight gain occurs when we regularly put more energy into our bodies than we use. Over time, that excess energy is stored by the body as fat. Research shows that most adults eat and drink more than they need, and think that they are more physically active than they are.

Checking calories in food:

Knowing the calorie content of foods can be a useful tool when it comes to achieving or maintaining a healthy weight. It can help us to keep track of the amount of energy we are eating and drinking, and ensure we're not consuming too much.

The calorie content of many foods is stated on the packaging in the nutrition label, which you will often find on the back or side of the packaging. This information will appear under the "Energy" heading. The calorie content is often given in kcals, which is short for "kilocalories", and also in kJ, which is short for "kilojoules".

A "kilocalorie" is another word for what is commonly called a "calorie", so 1,000 calories will be written as 1,000kcals.
Kilojoules are the metric measurement of calories. To find the energy content in kilojoules, multiply the calorie figure by 4.2.

The label will usually tell you how many calories are contained in 100 grams or 100 millilitres of the food or drink, so you can compare the calorie content of different products. Many labels will also state the number of calories in "one portion" of the food. But remember that the manufacturer's idea of "one portion" may not be the same as yours, so there could be more calories in the portion you serve yourself.

You can use the calorie information to assess how a particular food fits into your daily calorie intake. As a guide, the average mans needs 2,500kcal (10,500kJ) to maintain his weight, and the average woman needs 2,000kcal (8,400kJ).

Media last reviewed: 03/04/2014
Next review due: 03/04/2016

Burning calories

The amount of calories people use by doing a certain physical activity varies, depending on a range of factors, including size and age.  The more vigorously you do an activity, the more calories you will use. For example, fast walking will use more calories than walking at a moderate pace.

You can learn more about making healthy changes to your diet in our lose weight section.  You can also talk to your GP or practice nurse to get more advice on achieving the right energy balance and losing weight.

Page last reviewed: 25/08/2014
Next review due: 25/08/2016
"
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 01:43:45 PM by CLKD »

CLKD

Re: Calories [NHS web-site]
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 01:44:36 PM »

Crikey - that sounds complicated  ::) ……….. I know that I need to up the amount of exercise so when in the garden I walk briskly to and from the compost, even pulling on wellies and taking them off must burn some calories …… skipping anyone  ;D

Joyce

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 02:01:41 PM »

Skipping? Are you kidding, with my  :boobs: I'd have two black eyes!  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 04:21:35 PM »

May I giggle  :D

I have 2 skipping ropes ……. I know where 1 is  ::)

rosebud57

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 07:51:21 AM »

I don't think calories are much of a guide for weight loss.  We process calories from fat and carbs very differently.  Also some people are more inclined to store carb calories than others.

Rowan

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 09:25:45 AM »

Not sure I agree with that  if you go on a low carb diet its water weight you lose.

Its calories in, calories out if you expand more energy then calories (any calories) consumed you lose weight.

I certainly am losing weight and inches, the weight loss is not daily as my calorie intake versus energy output varies from day to day, most days I break even but I certainly am not putting on weight.

Its very satisfying feeling my jeans slipping down and having to pull them up, I don't weigh myself but this is a sure way I know its working.

The FitBit is visual incentive making you aware of how food and exercise are effecting your body.

Here is some interesting info

https://www.12wbt.com/nutrition/how-many-calories/lose-weight

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 09:42:26 AM »

Hi - It is not as simple as calories in and calories out as rosebud has said. We process food from different sources differently which the leading weight loss organisations now recognise. Also it is important that within the calories consumed you have a healthy balance form all the food sources.

Here is an extract from a weight loss organisation:

Eat better, not less

Our plan is based on the latest nutritional science. We know that a calorie isn't just a calorie and this is why every food is assigned to its own ProPoints value - one easy to use number based on protein, carbohydrate, fat and fibre content. It takes into account how your body processes food and nudges you towards healthier, more satisfying choices. So, when you follow Weight Watchers do not think you will eat less; you will however eat better than ever before. You may find yourself surprised at all the wonderful foods you can enjoy every day.

There has been a lot of work done on this recently. This means that if you eat in a certain way (eg more protein) a diet containing the same calorific content but eg one with more carbs will result in less weight loss than the protein rich one. I have over simplified but that's the principle anyway.

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 10:06:42 AM »

:thankyou: …… I know how my weight is due to my jeans ………. rarely step on the scales.  We are off for a walk later  ;)

Rowan

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2015, 10:08:15 AM »

Each one of us can decide how to lose weight I am eating normally not cutting out anything, I am not eating big portions, and I am losing weight.

Understanding how my body balances with input and output of food is an added tool and it works for me. OH is losing weight too.

I have never snacked between meals and don't drink so that is to my advantage, and knowing how many calories that I burn up in an average day certainly is encouraging.

Exercise even if it is just walking is the key for me, I have always walked but lately have not done so much due to one thing or another, now I am back in the routine and it is paying off.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2015, 10:10:13 AM »

When my dog was ill she and I slowed down.  I put on almost 2 stone in 17 months.  After she was pts [13 years ago next month] I borrowed a puppy and walked and walked and …….. it took 14 months of brisk daily walking to get back to a little heavier than I had been for years (8st 2) which I have maintained.

Rowan

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2015, 10:40:21 AM »

Weight Watchers meals are all calorie controlled based on calories in calories out

http://www.weightwatchers.co.uk/util/art/index_art.aspx'tabnum=1&art_id=22031&sc=805

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2015, 02:55:02 PM »

:thankyou:  we are a Mine of Information  ::)

Had a good walk this morning ……… was ready to go, enjoyed being out in the sunshine, home now ……. feet up  :D