Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: So : we don't attend a party and get a bill  (Read 10016 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
So : we don't attend a party and get a bill
« on: January 21, 2015, 04:29:00 PM »

::) what's all that about!  5 year old decides not to attend a party so the Mother holding the party sends an invoice? Gone are the days when Mum 'did' the party herself, now it seems that the whole class is invited - and they take Party Bags away with them  :-\

I don't think that the Mother will be able to pursue through the Court unless there was a clearly stated Clause on the invite.  It is a bit of a worry that it has been reported that the parent of the child not attending didn't have any contact details, not even the place where the party was being held  :-\ - in these days of 'stranger danger' it makes my skin crawl that the parents apparently didn't know  :bang:

I wonder if the media will follow this story through?

honeybun

Re: So : we don't attend a party and get a bill
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 05:11:38 PM »

The parent of the child did know where the party was they just didn't have a contact number to say he wasn't coming.

When we had parties....yes we invited dozens, I always got emergency numbers as the children arrived.
Yes they had party bags too, we hired all sorts of venues. Ten pin bowling, gymnastics, soft play, a clown, a children's entertainer. All the parents did it. I did have a few house parties and oh my....the mess  ::). It was worth it to pay someone else.

As for charging for a no show....how silly is that. Bet she never thought for one minute it would end up on the news. No one will ever let their child attend of of her parties again. It's her child I feel so sorry for as he will always be known as the child with " that mother" poor little soul.

Honeyb
X

babyjane

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 05:16:40 PM »

five year olds don't need or want all that, well maybe they do nowadays if everyone is doing it, but how silly. This sort of thing makes me cringe. What sort of world are our little grandchildren coming into when this sort of thing can happen. £15.95 per child for a party at 5 years old, they've got more money than sense, my opinion anyway.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 05:19:14 PM »

So why not phone the place where the party was being held  :-\ and I bet if 1 Mum in each Class decided against Party Bags, the others would breath huge sighs of relief.

Mum made the food, ice the sponge and put candles on top and prepared the games: I-spy, Pin the Tail on the Donkey  :o [no helf and safety then], she set a tray with items which we looked at then had to remember and write them down ….. each child got a piece of cake to take home. Job Done!

Himself never had a party  :-\

Joyce

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 05:23:50 PM »

It is pretty petty if you ask me. In a local shop recently, I was in buying something in their sale which I've put aside for eldest GDs birthday. Owner was busy blowing up helium balloons for a party. Every child was to get a balloon heroes for boys, princesses for the girls. Well over £100!  I thought it was instead of party bags, but no. Heck knows the price of the party, but it's venue wouldn't have been cheap.

We gave son a party at home one year when he was about 6. Treasure hunt, games, food, party bags. We were planning on going outdoors for some ball games, but lo & behold God had other ideas, moving his furniture & sweating buckets!  ;D  So ball games became balloon games. Blooming hard work, but they all had s brilliant time.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 05:32:37 PM »

I wonder if insurance is at the base of some people renting public places for parties  :-\ ……. in case a child falls and is injured in the home  ::) ……..

D M in L had never had a birthday cake until DH made her 1 for her 60th - and every year after.  With a single candle when she stayed here to blow out.  She had never had a dolly either so we gave her 1 for her 80th  ::) …….

My sister used to take her boys to MacDonalds  :-\
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 07:40:16 PM by CLKD »

honeybun

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 05:34:10 PM »

In defence I did do all sorts but I generally did my own food and set a budget for the lot at about £100.

It's what we all did and I was quite restrained compared to some. My two have been to sailing clubs where the whole club was booked out for the night and parents were invited too....that was fun. They have been to wind surfing parties and skiing parties.

One of the best ones I did was to negotiate a price with a beauty salon in town for a make over for ten girls. Make up only, they were 14 I think and came out looking like ladies of the night.

Very small children don't need that much but to my mind the hire of a church/village hall is worth it's weight in gold. At least when the enevitable one throws up its not on your carpet  ::)

Honeyb
X

rosebud57

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 05:34:34 PM »

Parents behaving like children.

What an appallingly example they give.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2015, 05:35:58 PM »

I expect it's something that happened at the 'school gate' or in the playground …. will be interesting to see the outcome.

Honeybun - no one did …….. fortunately  :-X

honeybun

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2015, 05:43:16 PM »

They generally do CLKD, too many fizzy drinks and cake  ::). In fact it's expected to be honest.

When they get much much older you book them a table at a restaurant and give them the money, numbers much reduced of course.

Honeyb
X

Judith57

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2015, 06:24:53 PM »

It's a very lucrative business these days - Carole and Michael Middleton became millionaires with their party pieces business  :-\

Limpy

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2015, 06:41:31 PM »

The whole thing seems such a shame.
It's not surprising that a 5 year old decides it wants to do something else. Ok it might have been nice if the parents of the invited child had let the organising parents know, but things aren't always that easy to organise.

Dorothy

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2015, 06:42:35 PM »

The thing that staggered me was that this made headline news, several news broadcasts running, on two radio channels  ::)...with all that is happening in the world, is a petty spat between two mums really so newsworthy?  If they have to add something so trivial onto the end of a broadcast, why couldn't they have picked a good news story and cheered us all up?

Dulciana

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2015, 07:39:26 PM »

Some children do 'ave 'em!   ::)

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2015, 07:41:19 PM »

Yes I think it is important.  We all want World Peace but if the fall-out begins at the School Gate  :-\
Pages: [1] 2