Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: aldi  (Read 14887 times)

kerrieann

aldi
« on: January 21, 2015, 03:58:10 PM »

ladies,  do you shop in aldi ?  went today and bought few bits but wasnt sure what is good and whats not   any suggestions of things you like from there ?

littleminnie

Re: aldi
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 04:20:48 PM »

I don't do my main shop there but I do bob in every now and again. I just go by recommendation from friends, work colleagues etc.  The meatballs are really nice(bought them a few times now). The fruit and veg is okay (and cheap). I was warned not to buy the frozen pizzas because they aren't nice.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 04:25:58 PM »

They buy stuff as and when, similar to Lidl - so they don't carry the same stock all the while apart from basics.  We go when they have offers …….

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 04:28:19 PM »

I do the majority of my shopping there. I get everything except meat and fish.
You name it I get it.

Cereals, porridge, bread, rolls, teabags.....I could give you a huge list.

Cold meats are brilliant, butter and cheese, bacon and chicken all so very good. All my washing powder toilet tolls (aloe vera ) washing up liquid, dish washer tabs.

I save an absolute fortune. A huge trolley load for about £40. The quality is just as good as anywhere else. I don't buy ready meals though as I'm not keen on them, and I didn't like the flavour of the beef.....might just be me though.

I couldn't afford not to shop there anymore and I haven't had to compromise on quality.

Honeyb
X

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 04:30:34 PM »

I don't buy ready meals full stop.  DH cooks from scratch or we go to the chippy.  I don't buy much in the way of cakes either, apart from chocolate eclairs and mousses. 

kerrieann

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 04:42:41 PM »

thanks ladies  i bought yogurts honey cereal hand cream wasnt too sure about the shampoo and conditioner ? the bread is nice and fresh was a bit dubious re tea and coffee  do you find it ok then honeybun ? also got sponge treacle puddings to try, never made a steamed pudding myself havent got a steamer so not sure how to do it without one  x

honeybun

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 04:50:37 PM »

I do buy the hand soap but not the shampoo or conditioner. I'm a bit picky with that. Hubby buys the coffe and I get the Scottish tea bags. The porridge that you get in sachets is the best I have ever had.
When I said ready meals I meant things like pizza. The frozen vegetables are very good as is the chips. The frozen Basa fillets are good for fish pie. I get the ketchup too and the mayo is just as good as the big brand one. Tuna is great as are jars of olives.
Kettle crisps are less than half the price.

You just have to get over not having the big name brands. Once you get passed that you discover it all tastes much the same.....try the baked beans  ;D

Honeyb
X

babyjane

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 04:55:40 PM »

my problem with our Aldi is the massive queues and they don't have a quick till so unless some kind soul lets you in if you only have one or two items it is just not worth the endless wait...... ::)

mum used to shop there and was very pleased with it, her best friend still does  :)

kerrieann

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2015, 04:57:28 PM »

will defiantly go again soon,  coffee we normally buy high end brand as with tomato ketchup, to be honest we have gone off the big brand of baked beans as they seen to have changed so they are worth a try then, i suppose just getting a small tin jar etc to try is best,  just didnt want to go the whole hog and waste it lol

honeybun

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2015, 05:02:40 PM »

When you realise how much you save it becomes very appealing. The nearest store to us is about 12 miles away and it's still worth it.

I have one of the match and more cards from Morisons. I top up occasionally and when you see how many items are more expensive it makes you think.

I do go to my local butcher and as we done eat much meat I am prepared to pay a bit more. Same with the fishmonger.

I think for my trolley of shopping in Aldi I would spend about £25 more anywhere else. That's £100 a month saved.
You really can't argue with that.

Honeyb
X

purplenanny

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2015, 05:05:26 PM »

Love Aldi (and Lidl)

Sponge puds can be microwaved or sit them on an upturned saucer in a saucepan of water. Simmer gently

Their little ice cream puddings are tasty (3 in a box) and the pots come in handy after for my craft bits ::)

babyjane

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2015, 05:13:15 PM »

well my husband doesn't want me go to Aldi as he is very conservative - just like his father, and likes what he knows and as he pays for the shopping who am I to argue.  Glad others are finding it helpful and useful though  :)

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2015, 05:16:07 PM »

It's making me hungry all this talk of sponge pudding …….

babyjane

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2015, 05:16:59 PM »

:)

kerrieann

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2015, 05:20:12 PM »

clkd  :D  i know iam not too fussed over dinner which i must go and get ready now, but iam looking forward to my sponge pud  x
Pages: [1] 2 3 4