Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Colonoscopy Sedation  (Read 2556 times)

Cassie

Colonoscopy Sedation
« on: January 21, 2015, 06:19:47 AM »

Hi Ladies for those of you who have had the procedure, how were you sedated, ie was it a drip in the vein or an injection and were you totally out for the count. I need to go for one but I really do not want to be zonked out, a friend of mine says she had a sedative but was awake and watched the procedure and walked out 30 mins later feeling fine, just wondering how differently we all react to sedatives and if one can ask them, to keep it light. My hubby went a while back and he was so knocked out that he slept for about 2 hours afterwards in recovery. This is what, I am trying to avoid. Do not think I would be able to attempt it without a sedative though.
Thankyou

Mrs January

Re: Colonoscopy Sedation
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 07:58:45 AM »

Hi Cassie

I had one  couple of years ago, didn't at all want to be sedated. I chose to have entonox ( gas and air for labour) still was  bait uncomfortable but I felt fine and left the department from start to finish in one hour

Hope it helps

Mrs January xxx

Pauline

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 08:08:38 AM »

I did reply to this post but it seems to have got lost in the ether. Sorry you are having to have a colonoscopy but hope it shows nothing serious amiss. The prep was the worst part for me!!
I have had two of these with very different experiences.
1 Performed with sedation in vein but was conscious throughout and offered the chance to watch the scope on screen. Declined that one!! Felt fine afterwards with no grogginess and able to resume normal very active lifestyle the day after.
2 No recollection of anything after being wheeled in until the obligatory tea and biscuit afterwards. So can't tell what sedation was used but it must have been powerful. Some twinges of discomfort for about a week after this one and it re-awoke my post hysterectomy feelings for a while as well.
Thankfully no serious outcome. Hope you have a similar result. Good luck!

CJ-sleepless

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 10:06:50 AM »

I had one (with endoscopy at the same time) last year and was sedated via drip in my hand.  I "came round" immediately on finishing the procedure and wasn't groggy at all - I think it depends how much they give you.  I was terrified of the endoscope - the thought of something going down my throat - but I can honestly say I don't recall a single moment of the whole procedure - either end!  Hope it goes well for you

SueRoe

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 08:02:35 PM »

I had sedation for an endoscope a few years ago and was really bothered about a tube going down my throat. I told the nurse when I arrived that I was very worried. She passed this onto the doc who gave me a hefty dose of sedative (back of hand). It was something called midazolam which they can reverse with another drug when they've finished the procedure. I remember nothing and became fully awake very quickly with no "hangover". Ideal !  If you're worried tell the staff and they should understand and help. Good luck.

Kathleen

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 05:44:29 PM »

Hello Cassie.

I have had a colonoscopy on two separate occasions with sedation via a canular in my hand. I didn't have any problems and felt fine throughout the procedure and afterwards. A friend told me they use liquid diazepam, not sure if that's true but I felt very comfortable and didn't feel overdosed.

Hope this helps, good luck for your appointment and let us know how you get on.

Take care.

K.

oldsheep

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 06:55:08 PM »

Try not to worry about the sedative. I was given one but it didn't really work as I have a very long and very twisty bowel. (I'm sure yours is better behaved  ;)). They don't k.o you deliberately, but people react differently to the drug. Yes, it was in the hand. Didn't hurt at all. Felt nice and relaxed until Doc started doing the unmentionable!

Re the prep: picolax wasn't too bad. Nurse told me it's far better than one of the alternatives (?) in terms of being easy to tolerate as you have to drink a lot of it. Someone on here might know.
Good luck.
I was petrified but it was fine, really.