Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: newby  (Read 2528 times)

judrops

newby
« on: January 22, 2015, 02:37:19 PM »

Hi I am a newby  Im 52 and have been menopausal for approx. 5 years now  with hot flushes gradually getting worse until 2013 when I couldn't take any more so went to GP  and was prescribed Elleste Duet. Hot flushes stopped after the first week of taking them and I  felt like a new woman straight away , all aches and pains went and mood lifted. sadly libido didn't come back but hey ho .... all was well but my periods came back but were so heavy .. with no warning just the flood gates opened . I coped with this for 9 months but then decided enough was enough and decided to come off HRT to see what would happen . Hot flushes came back within a week and periods carried on for another 3 months.  then they stopped but hot flushes were worse than ever. I tried alternatives including lady care which appeared to help for a while . after 6 months with sleep deprivation as hot flushes coming every half hr I decided to see another GP  who was really understanding and tried me on another HRT. femostan 1/10 . hot flushes didn't stop till week 4  then came a heavy period for 1 week. then 2 weeks free then the next period came early for 2 weeks really really unbearably heavy so that was really hard to carry on working but I managed but so depressing so back to the drs I go today as I don't know what was worse hot flushes or heavy periods . and have been started on Elleste Duet conti ...... is any one else on these tablets ?. gp advised starting them straight away even though am still bleeding....... thankyou any advise appreatiated

Hurdity

Re: newby
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 04:51:47 PM »

Hi judrops

:welcomemm:

Sorry to hear about your bleeding problems and flushes.

Had your periods completely stopped for a year before you went onto HRT? Unfortunately irregular bleeding is common when you are peri-menopausal and also when first starting HRT, but usually just when you are still having periods - it normally is much lighter once you are post-menopausal unless you have abnormalities such as fibroids or polyps which can cause heavy bleeding.

There is some good information about bleeding and treatments on this website - if you are peri-menopausal: http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/heavyperiods.php and here: http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/periodtreatments.php

For some women - irregular bleeding continues on conti HRT so some opt to stay with a cycle into post-menopause.

Hope your bleeding stops and you feel better soon!

If not you might like to think about having a Mirena coil which will reduce and sometimes stop heavy bleeding - and then you could add oestrogen in the form of patches or gel.

Hurdity x

judrops

Re: newby
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 07:38:26 PM »

Hi Hurdity yes they had stopped completely  I cant remember exactly how long for but i know it was  for at least 6 months.  I was warned that I would get periods back but didn't realise they would be so heavy  and it was affecting my life dramatically. I am a nurse on the community so you can imagine I was put in some awkward predicaments .  funnily enough my GP mentioned today about a Mirena coil but at this moment in time I am not keen. I will obviously have a rethink if these new tablets don't work . As long as the hot flushes stay away and I begin to feel remotely normal again . I can even cope with having periods back again but not as heavy as this last one has been ridiculous for 2 weeks bleeding having to change every hr is no fun at all . I will have a read of the link you have sent thankyou very much . so glad I have found this Forum :):)