Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Coccyx trouble  (Read 10148 times)

CJ-sleepless

Coccyx trouble
« on: January 20, 2015, 12:36:38 PM »

I have a very sore coccyx!  Not had a fall or anything, so cannot understand how it's happened.  I've had this before but it has settled quite quickly, but this time its been sore since before Christmas - I've bought a special cushion and taking ibuprofen but its not getting any better.  Anyone have any experience of this?  It is making me quite miserable and on top of dealing with meno symptoms I'm at the end of my rope - not sleeping is the worst, but with a sore botty as well I'm losing the plot!  Seeing my GP next week so will ask her about that on top of all the other things (I've got a list!) but in the meantime if anyone has had similar and found a solution I'd love to hear about it! Thanks

rosebud57

Re: Coccyx trouble
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 12:55:07 PM »

It could be a cyst.  Both my Mother and Sister had coccyx cysts.  However they usually present in teens and twenties.

Good luck with the Doc.

CJ-sleepless

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 01:04:49 PM »

Ah hadn't considered anything like that I just assumed it was bone related - thanks for the input!

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 01:10:58 PM »

Sorry to hear you're suffering.   I damaged mine years ago lifting someone heavy from the floor at work and the only thing that helped was a few sessions with the physio.  But if you haven't done anything to aggravate it I think I would get it checked out with your GP.....

honeybun

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 01:25:20 PM »

I fractured mine about 15 years ago......Oh the pain.

if you haven't done anything then it does sound as if there is something else going on.

I really would get it checked out.

Honeyb
x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 03:05:44 PM »

When I was about 11 years old I was kicked [long story short] which caused bruising to mine. Oh the indignity of having to sit on a cushion for at least 6 months, the blasted thing was carried everywhere - in Roll Call the Head teacher provided me with a seat where everyone else in my year was seated on the floor  :o ………

Hadn't heard of cysts.   It may be arthritic changes too!  I would continue with the cushion all the while and make sure that your GP examines the painful area.

Dana

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 03:42:36 AM »

Exactly the same thing happened to me. There was absolutely no explanation for the sudden onset of pain. I tried numerous things to help - chiropractor, acupuncture, manipulation, exercises etc. At the same time I was seeing a naturopath as well, and she mentioned calcification, and the penny suddenly dropped.

For years I've experienced calcification, on and off, in my shoulders, so it was highly possible that this was causing my coccyx pain as well. What I did was stopped taking calcium supplements and instead concentrated on getting my calcium from natural sources, and the pain got a lot better. It took a while before I noticed any difference, and it was fairly gradual. I know the calcium isn't in my imagination because if I do start to take supplements again the pain gets worse.

The pain has never gone away totally, but it has greatly improved and it's now at a level that I can easily live with.

If you haven't already seen the coccyx.org site, you might be interested in this.... http://www.coccyx.org/medabs/richette.htm

Pauline

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 08:03:22 AM »

Knocked to the ground by a rampaging and very ill mannered horse nearly two years ago. Fell backwards on my butt on concrete. Not been totally free of pain since although it has eased a bit. MRI showed nothing. I just live with it. Use a coccyx cushion on car journeys and avoid constipation. Mine was attributable to a cause though and, like the other ladies who have responded, if yours is not then get it checked. Good luck. I know the feeling!!

CJ-sleepless

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2015, 10:04:25 AM »

So interesting!  I broke it when I was 17 falling onto the corner of a stone step in the snow - six months of cushion sitting.  Since then its flared up from time to time.  You mention calcification - I think this might be something - I have problems with my shoulder - had surgery 2 years ago where they removed calcification from my scapula and cleaned out the joint - its better but still not brilliant.  It follows therefore that its perfectly possible I have calcification in my posterior!  I will raise it with the GP see what she thinks.  I've had ultrasound on it previously when its flared up which did help a lot.  Oh the joys of getting older!  Have to say, I hate it - I'm 49 this year and dread being 50 - 30 and 40 didn't bother me but for some reason I hate the thought of 50!  So much I wanted to do with my life, and haven't, so perhaps why I feel this way  :'(  thanks everyone

CJ-sleepless

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2015, 10:29:34 AM »

My GP had a poke about  :o and said its inflamed and referred me for physio - probably ultrasound. I slipped over on the decking in the garden on Wednesday, and you guessed it, landed on my posterior with a big thump - bruised my hand and wrist into the bargain.  I'm so glad no-one saw me - it was quite spectacular.  Paying the price now its even more sore than it was already!  Bambi has nothing on me! :crutch:

Galadriel

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2015, 10:48:42 AM »

I bruised my coccyx in my teens - at school - on the ice - Bambi style too! CJ, I'm not sure which was more painful, the bruised bum or the extreme loss of dignity in my mid-teens. I was so accident-prone I could tip over fresh air!

I hope the physio helps.

Galadriel x

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2015, 10:48:56 AM »

OUCH!

Galadriel

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2015, 11:53:55 AM »

I think I invented a few new sweary words when my butt hit the thick ice. :cuss:  Fortunately I was not within earshot of any teachers :-X

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2015, 12:04:23 PM »

Air was blue then ?

Rowan

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2015, 03:37:56 PM »

I found this site helpful when I had my coccyx problem

http://coccyx.org/index.htm
Pages: [1] 2