Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dr says feeling of dread n anxiety nothing to do with menopause ????  (Read 7960 times)

Amandajane46

Went to doctors to ask to be referred to gynaecologist as to my perimenopause and my options and explained my symptoms in which he's reply was he Knows more about menopause and can by delt with at gp and the feeling of doom n anxiety nothing to do with menopause ? I was happy till he said that . And thought to my self you obviously don't on that note.

Millykin

Re: Dr says feeling of dread n anxiety nothing to do with menopause ????
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 07:50:05 PM »

Most GPs say that, if only they met all us on here their opinions would soon change!
Any female GP of certain age might agree, but think they are few and far.
X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 07:53:06 PM »

Oh these GPs that don't listen.   :bang: :bang: :bang:   Any symptom can be 'down' to menopause, however, we shouldn't blame all symptoms on hormones until various checks have been made: i.e. Thyroid function is important to check too.

Does your Practice have a Nurse you could chat with?  I would be asking my GP what exactly does cause doom and gloom then?  ::) …….. you could look at the web-site of your nearest hospitals to see if they have a Consultant who includes menopause support in his Clinics. 

Many GPs don't like to refer because the cost comes out of their budget, however, they are GPs; not Consultants  :kick:

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 05:58:15 PM »

Oh dear! Sorry to hear about that Amandajane - I agree with CLKD - do go and talk to someone else in the practice and try to find out who in the practice is most knowlegdeable and sympathetic about menopause.

Hurdity x

starfish

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 07:07:43 PM »

Hi,

Oh dear - I was told the same just over a year ago - that my anxiety and bouts of insomnia were nothing to do with (i.e., never caused by) peri menopause and must be caused by my 'other issues'!! This doctor was young and male and I have made a point of never, ever having an appointment with him again.

It is complete nonsense and I hope you feel reassured here and by other more experienced or even better-read doctors.

Starfish x
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 07:09:27 PM by starfish »

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 07:16:04 PM »

So what will you do Amandajane?

Dulciana

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 08:47:52 PM »

Menopause?  You've got to live it, to know it!

Amandajane46

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 09:45:01 PM »

Well I'm on ADs and evorel conti 50 patches but I'm going go to a drop in menopause centre because I have questions un answered I'm 46 I was 44 when perimenopause started
1 will the patches pre long menopause
2 should I be on B12 injections
3 should I be taking any vitamins
4 I'm i on the right meds
And more
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 10:39:47 PM by Amandajane46 »

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2015, 09:42:55 AM »

Let us know how you get on!

Bomber

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2015, 12:07:37 PM »

I suffered terribly with dread and crippling anxiety. I was only offered anti depressants, but having been on them previously for some time and finding they were not the answer for me, turned them down. Since I started HRT 3 months ago (after 5 years of misery) these symptoms have completely disappeared and I am once again the woman I was before.
Have you tried / can you try HRT ?   
Good luck  :)

Hurdity

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2015, 04:39:01 PM »

Bomber - she is on HRT as stated in her post a couple below yours!

Amandajane - Not sure if you've explained this elsewhere but it would help to know how long you've been taking HRT, what your periods were doing in the time leading up to starting HRT and more important when did your anxiety symptoms start - did they show a cyclical pattern?

It could be that your doctor initially put you on ADs anxiety - but if it's hormonally responsive - maybe don't really need them (especially if you haven't suffered with anxiety previously), but just the right hormones at the right dose.

If you are still peri-menopausal then your own hormones will still be fluctuating and lead to dips in mood and anxiety. It could also be that your anxiety is made worse by the progestogen in the Evorel conti - it is norethisterone - and can result on constant low grade side effects which could interfere with the beneficial effects of oestrogen.

Also you may need a higher dose at your age - which isn't possible with Evorel conti, so perhaps a different preparation would suit you better? If you want to consider this then we can help advise you and you can then reuqest a change of HRT from your GP ( or ideally a different one in the practice!)

Hurdity x

Amandajane46

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2015, 06:03:19 PM »

Hurdity this has been going on for about 14 months I had the merina coil in for about 2years which did not agree with me kept haveing really bad pmt and cramping pains so had it taking out in July 2013 then in November 2013  my periods started messing up and came the anxiety the doctor put me on citalopram after a few months started to notice my periods were every two weeks and with the anxiety , muscle tension , headache ,nausea , the soaked under breast .electric shocks and nervousness with inner shaking in my legs n arms had a scan and that they said I'm going through change but dr said no because I was not dry below so dr said councillor would help so paid to see privet one and she said that it's hormones and I'm menopause she went through the change hard as well .as I'm now 46 and I was 44 in 2013 my mum was 42 when she had hers so looked up menopause symptoms and I had 22 of them so went back to doctor and he said I hat to have merina coil put back in only then would he give me patches I felt crap soon as coil was fitted was very down n tearful n it's been 5 months with coil n 3 months with patches some of my symptom have gone but not all and bleeding most of the time now  .     And I have never suffered with anxiety in my life before.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 06:37:56 PM by Amandajane46 »

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2015, 07:42:03 PM »

Get the coil removed?

Amandajane46

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2015, 06:21:39 PM »

Just waiting for my appointment date for gynecologist to come through post as see a different doctor today

Lynjane

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2015, 09:51:56 AM »

Feelings of extreme anxiety for no particular reason in a peri-meno or menopausal woman, who has experienced no such feelings previously...obviously it's down to the change in her hormones!! Why can't doctors just accept the overwhelming evidence for this, and just find a foolproof way of dealing with it??? :-\
Pages: [1] 2