Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Things I see on FB  (Read 3913 times)

Lynjane

Things I see on FB
« on: January 20, 2015, 09:36:11 AM »

I check my FaceBook newsfeed 2 or 3 times per week, and often notice messages from women, presumably from this forum, well under the heading MM anyway! Mostly, they are women who are experiencing severe menopausal symptoms, but there is no indication as to who they are...although if you respond, your name is immediately out there!! Sometimes I want to respond because I've had, what are to me anyway, dreadful experiences during the nearly 10 years (and still counting) of my menopause, I'm now 63! I don't, because it's not something I want to put in a public arena, so I stick to this very helpful private forum...I wonder if these women are aware that the sometimes intimate matters they publish will be all over FB in minutes?!

Joyce

Re: Things I see on FB
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 09:57:09 AM »

I have my FB settings set on the most private mode, some people don't do that. I am only friends with close family & a few close acquaintances. I think this site gives us what we need with the options to post in private section or to PM others.

However, you will find that if you look under certain topics which have been posted on the open forum here, this site will come up on the web.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 09:59:58 AM by cubagirl »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 03:21:47 PM »

Not much is Private any more ……

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 05:45:07 PM »

I agree re FB and the MM page - I wouldn't even want my friends to see me posting on there - heavens - all my children are my friends and some of their friends too who I know well - the embarassment would be awful! At one time I made a second FB profile under my maiden name and my other first name purely to post on the MM page, so no-one would know who I was as I made sure I didn't have friends - but I can't be bothered to switch so never use it - and just post on here!

Not quite sure how the privacy settings work on FB Pages that you "Like" and who can see the posts on the page. I imagine that the whole page is public even if your own settings are very private??

Hurdity x

gilaray

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 06:21:21 PM »

I am an avid FB user and have never seen anything published that I do not want to be seen

Rowan

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 06:28:28 PM »

http://howto.wired.com/wiki/Make_Your_Facebook_Account_Private

If you "like" a page and they click on your profile pic you can set your privacy settings so that if they do go to your facebook page they only see the top of your page.

In facebook you can check and see what others can see of your own FB page.

Personally I can't see what the fuss is about really. The whole point of facebook  was for people to know your face and people to get to know you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Facebook

If the concept worries you however you set your "Privacy Settings" then best not to join facebook. 

Its certainly easy to find out about people from Electoral Roll, Telephone Directories without being online.

In your "Privacy Settings" click on "What do other people see on my timeline"
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 06:55:21 PM by silverlady »

Dorothy

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 06:53:45 PM »

I'm far more worried about what other people post about me on facebook - I have a friend who has no privacy settings at all on her page and I found out that she had posted photos of me and my home (that I didn't even know she had taken!) on her page, together with enough info for people to work out where I lived.  I only found out when someone I barely knew came up to me in the shop and started telling me all this stuff he knew about my house.  It was really creepy and I felt very uncomfortable. 

Even if you have no internet access at all, you can't stop other people posting things about you.

Rowan

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 06:59:35 PM »

Dorothy real friends would not do this without asking your permission first.

Dorothy

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2015, 07:07:19 PM »

Dorothy real friends would not do this without asking your permission first.

My older friends, early 40s upwards, don't do this, but those under 40 think it's fine and can't see what the problem is.  I often feel uncomfortable with what they share about their other friends too, but I just get a strange look and am told 'everyone does it.   The friend who posted all the personal info about me is 35 and thought I was making a huge fuss until I told her about being accosted in the supermarket by the creep!  It seems that people born late 70s or later are so used to sharing everything online that they can't understand why anyone else would have a problem.

Rowan

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2015, 07:18:28 PM »

Does she know about  " Privacy Settings" and how to set them? tell her she should for her own peace of mind. Someone could post something about her she does not like, perhaps that would bring it home to her.

Must admit my "young tribe" and "friends" don't post much about their private life, just about exams results  Uni stuff  youtubes of fluffy cute animals and words of wisdom, so I don't get to know much about what they are up too.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 07:38:22 PM by silverlady »