Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Some advice please!  (Read 2368 times)

jillyrich

Some advice please!
« on: January 19, 2015, 12:33:25 PM »

Hello ladies,

I'm a new member here and just wanted some help, opinion or advice pls! And sorry about the long post!

Had utterly horrendous hot flushes so was put on evorel conti just over a year ago. Ooh what a difference within 10 days - no more flushes!

However, I'd been on it for 8 months  and was still getting irregular bleeding, which I rather hoped would settle down and stop. And then (sorry, it's a bit yucky!) I was just having a horrible brown discharge. After 2 months of that, I then started bleeding again.

And it is now practically a week on, and a week off for the last 2 months. I got referred to the gynae unit and they scanned me, and I have my follow up appointment next week. So I'm trying to come to a decision about where I go from here!

I have had a DVT in the past, and the patch is the HRT supplement least likely to cause further problems, as opposed to tablets.

What I'd like to know I guess, is whether I should persevere with the everol conti, or possibly change to the Fem 7 conti one.

Or even whether I should be brave and stop altogether and see if the flushes have gone?!

Thanks for your patience in reading this, and any advice or opinion would be greatly received!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 12:37:52 PM by jillyrich »

Hurdity

Re: Some advice please!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 12:42:50 PM »

Hi jillyrich

:welcomemm:

You haven't said how old you are or how long after your periods stopped you started HRT?

Often HRT does cause irregular bleeding which can take a while to settle especially if you are post-menopause and your body is not used to the extra oestrogen. It's good that you are being checked out as it hasn't settled yet. However some women find that to avoid this they go back to a cyclical (sequi) HRT, so still have a predictable monthly bleed.

If you feel well on the Evorel then this might be a prefereable option (ie Evorel sequi), although you will probably experience some pmt symptoms when you change from the combi patch to the oestrogen only - just like in the normal menstrual cycle.

Hurdity x

jillyrich

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 01:50:27 PM »

Hello Hurdity, thanks for your reply.

Yep I should really have stated my age and background!  I was 52 when I went on the patch and hadn't had a period for over 18 months. I loved not having the periods, but the hot flushes were unbearable. I work in a customer facing role and it was affecting my confidence and my job.

I am not happy with the idea of the HRT tablets due to my previous history of DVT but the doc was happy for me to try the patch. Am I right in thinking that all the sequi preps are all tablet based? Or a combi of patch and tablets?

Thanks.
X

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 02:27:41 PM »

You can get sequi patches. Evorel is one and if you have been happy on the conti then you should be ok on this too. It should regulate your bleeding. Some ladies never settle on a continuous HRT and find it much easier and more convenient to know exactly when they will have a bleed.

Honeyb
X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 03:01:58 PM »

:welcomemm:

carrs

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 04:00:00 PM »

Hi Jilly.
I also had bleeding every 2 weeks for a couple of months after years of no bleeding on evorel conti. I had a polyp removed in case it was due to that. Or it may have been because I forgot to change the patch a few times. I never got to the bottom of it because the docs were not that bothered, and said it was probable hormone imbalance, but the bleeding stopped after the polyp removal and I was more careful with  changing patches.

So you need the checks, but don't have to change anything else unless it persists.
Good luck.