Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Perimenopause hell ?  (Read 19861 times)

Amandajane46

Perimenopause hell ?
« on: January 16, 2015, 08:17:49 PM »

Hi I'm new here started perimenopause about 14 months ago I felt so ill and thought something was terribly wrong with me did not know what I was going through or what was happening I see about 18 different doctors and was at hospital every day for 2/1/2 weeks thought I had viral meningitis it was very scary at the time I had inner trembling in my legs felt so hot that I wanted to strip off and headaches ,nervous , panic attacks pain in my neck n shoulders , whooshing in my ears  and this weird feeling over my eyes like worms crawling. Legs like jelly and feeling of dread I only discovered 2 months ago that it was perimenopause it's been hell not 1 doctor recongnised my symptoms can't beleave this I went see a councillor and she told me she went through same thing and I should look at the symptoms online which I did and I had 22 of them it's been tough  :'( :'( gunna make an appointment with a  gynacoligist and see what my options are to ease my symptoms
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 11:19:17 PM by Amandajane46 »

donnacrichton

Re: Perimenopause hell ?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 09:40:35 PM »

I also had over a year of symptoms thought I was going mad doctors said it was all anxiety. I knew there was something wrong and although still struggling to get steady dose I know I am no longer mad. Read up lots on this site so you can discuss a treatment you wish to try. I have found a menopause club nic more helpful than my gp x

Dorothy

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 09:47:32 PM »

So sorry AmandaJane.  Hope you find someone who is able to be helpful AND NICE ABOUT IT soon - sometimes I wonder if they teach them about the change at med school!  People here are lovely and so helpful (only just joined myself) so I am sure you will find some good support here for all you are going through.  :)

Amandajane46

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 11:38:45 PM »

Thank you this site is great to ease your mind knowing that all these weird and horrible symptoms are just hormones related just menopause I feel a bit better  ;)

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 01:29:46 PM »

Hello Amanda - glad you have found this site.

I spent several months terrified I was losing my mind, as I suddenly started suffering from inexplicable feelings of anxiety and dread. In just a few weeks I was transformed from being Mrs Bright & Breezy to a wretched creature who was suddenly scared of the dark and unable to be left alone.

It was sheer Hell that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy  :(

My GP kept insisting I was just suffering with regular anxiety and depression. So I spent 8 months on anti depressants which helped but stopped me feeling like 'me' anymore. So I stopped taking them last Summer.

NOTHING in my life had changed, so it didn't make any sense that I was suddenly struggling with anxiety and mood swings  :-\ Then I slowly realised that my mood swings/anxiety were evolving into a vague pattern. A couple of 'good' weeks, followed by a week of feeling quite flat, followed by several days of feeling absolutely wretched. I also noticed my periods were now much lighter, and my cycle was shorter.

I had always suffered with PMS but didn't realise that PMS symptoms can't get truly extreme in the peri menopause. I found this site, and read Professor John Studd's website and had a light blub moment. I wasn't losing my mind. My hormones were totally to blame.

Just knowing there was a specific, physiological 'reason' made me feel so much better. And it really helped to read other women's stories on here, because their stories were so similar to mine.

Essexragdoll

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2015, 03:43:21 PM »

Hi Amanda I also suffer with most of the symptoms that you have, and I must say I think the anxiety is the hardest to deal with. I had a complete melt down over Christmas and had my first ever panic attack. I was signed off work for three weeks, but because I am quite an active person it made me feel worse. I pushed myself to go back two weeks ago and also went back to my exercise class (body combat) which I had let slip for a while, and although it has been tough, it has helped a lot.  I have  been able to talk to my friends at work and I am a firm believer in not keeping your feelings in, that is why this forum is so useful to women like us, as they say a "problem shared is a problem halved "

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2015, 04:43:11 PM »

I would agree with you Essexgirl that the anxiety is the worst. It is devastating and cuts you off at the knees. I can tolerate any physical perimenopausal symptoms, but I am helpless in the face of the horrible anxiety.

Amandajane46

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2015, 05:42:44 PM »

Hi thank you lady's I agree the anxiety Is hard but the feeling of dread is a nightmare my whole body runs cold with fear it's scary