Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Digestive Enzymes  (Read 6371 times)

honeybun

Digestive Enzymes
« on: January 14, 2015, 08:06:36 PM »

Has anyone had any experience of using them.

My IBS has been off the scale recently. I know it's down to stress due to hubby being poorly.
I have constant wind pain which gets worse as the day goes on and by the time I go to bed I look pregnant. It's gone by the morning and then builds up again.

I went to a health shop today and had a great chat with the shop assistant. She gave me some free samples of digestive enzymes to try. She uses them and said it had made such a difference. I have taken two, and it could be a coincidence but this is the first night for about seven weeks that I don't have bloating and a tummy ache.
I am hopeful that they might help.

Anyone else used them and how did you get on .....or am I the first.

Honeyb
X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Digestive Enzymes
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 08:27:44 PM »

What's a digestive enzyme?  My GP gave me motillium and colpermin when my IBS was bad.  I had to swallow those within the hour of eating my main meals.  After a few years I changed to Actimel drinks.  What do they look like, crystals to take with water or in capsule form or?

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 08:31:35 PM »

Hi honeybun - I thought I remembered this being discussed before - here is a thread with the same title from Sept 2013 so some of the responses might be helpful - although haven't read it myself...
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,22715.15.html

Hurdity x

Rowan

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 10:24:36 AM »

Here's some info about Digestive Enzymes

http://whole9life.com/2012/09/digestive-enzymes-101/

My OH takes them from time to time and can you believe suggested by Consultant!

Some info on the best ones

http://whole9life.com/2012/09/digestive-enzymes-101/

I usually keep the supplement in the fridge.

Any health Store will help you choose the best one for you, a multiple Enzymes would be best.

honeybun

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 02:33:43 PM »

Well my stomach pain has gone. I have bought some now and hopefully this will help me get my stomach sorted.

I have a good diet but have increasingly felt I am not digesting my food very efficiently. It just seems to sit there and causes wind and bloating.

Last night was the first in weeks that I did not go to bed feeling bloated and in pain.

Hopeful start I think.

Honeyb
X

honeybun

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 07:44:25 PM »

Just been on edge with hubby on his treatment Sparkle. He has has some unfortunate things happen in the past when on other versions of what he is on now. I am on permanent high alert which does my digestive system no good at all.

I was actually talking to my sister about the enzymes. Some of the advice said they were very good for people who did not have a gall bladder.

No bloating and wind and pain again tonight. The only thing that is different is the enzymes so I think.....fingers crossed...they may just suit me and my very iffy tummy.

Honeyb
X

honeybun

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 08:24:31 PM »

No peppermint oil in mine. Its the Solgar ones that I'm trying. There are loads of different versions I think. Just a case of finding one that suits.

The link that Silver Lady posted is excellent and explains things really well.

Honeyb
X

Pauline

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2015, 08:51:50 AM »

Good morning Honeybun. Firstly my sympathy over your worries. When Andrew was so ill for a year before his kidney failure was dealt with properly I sometimes felt I couldn't cope at all and it does impact on your health.
I trust your husband will be OK on the medication but I found that you do have to sometimes "keep a dog and bark yourself". If you feel things are wrong then tell the health bods so. So often all the concern is with the patient and very little with the carer!
Regarding enzymes, I did take Co Enzyme Q10 for a while but got bad headaches which stopped when the tablets stopped. Glad it is working for you though. IBS is a rotten thing especially when it flares.

babyjane

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2015, 10:13:58 AM »

my IBS used to be a constant companion until I started having an Actimel dring a day.  Now I only get it if I eat the wrong things.   Not heard of these digestive enzymes but glad you are finding relief honeybun.

Rowan

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2015, 10:59:25 AM »

Just want to say that Coenzyme Q10 is not a digestive enzyme, it is an oily vitamin like substance with many health benefits.

http://www.patient.co.uk/doctor/coenzyme-q10

The recommended dose is 30mgs a day especially if you are on statins.

Caution is advised in people with diabetes or low blood sugar.

honeybun

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2015, 01:40:18 PM »

They are not small that's for sure  ::). My daughter has trouble swallowing pills so she always takes them with fizzy water. They slide down easily then.

Honeyb
X