Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Exercises post hysterectomy  (Read 3593 times)

Micky

Exercises post hysterectomy
« on: January 10, 2015, 02:16:36 PM »

Dear Ladies
I had a total hysterectomy on the 30th of Dec...The op went ok - but the aftercare in the hospital was pretty dreadful and not the most pleasant experience... I came out after two days and now recovering at home- not feeling too bad, but my body waist down is achy and tired etc ...I imagine this is all normal after a major op and am trying not to get anx about any of it...Apart from being given a leaflet re hysterectomy at the hospital, I have tried to find info via the net on do's and dont's and what to expect etc...However I would like to know if there are any exercise that I could be doing to assist my recovery and thus far have not been able to find much... Can any kind ladies recommend any dvd's or books??

Rowan

Re: Exercises post hysterectomy
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 03:04:53 PM »

Non at all Micky until you feel well and strong enough to attempt gentle walks, you have a lot of healing to do, you should be careful not to put any strain in your stitches.

http://www.hysterectomy-association.org.uk/information/what-is-a-hysterectomy/recovery-after-hysterectomy/

There are lots of kindle books and books on amazon that will help too.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 04:38:34 PM by silverlady »

Annaaustria

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 04:25:07 PM »

Hi Mickey
Definately check out the hysterectomy association, there's a really good book to download there. Just take it easy and don't rush yourself, your body will tell you what it can cope with. I tried weeding just after I came home and thought I was going to die!  You don't say if you had a vaginal or stomach operation, that makes a difference it what you can do too.I was told to do the simple pelvic floor exercises that you do post baby, but just take it slowly! Good luck!

Joyce

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 04:42:34 PM »

Basically none, especially until your post op check. All I was allowed to do was gentle walking.

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 05:07:33 PM »

Good to hear from you Micky. I had mine in July and this is the advice given to me by my consultant and also is posted on the Hysterectomy UK website http://gallery.mailchimp.com/a5692c6457e86f0e2182630fa/files/sbs_recovery.pdf?utm_source=Free+Hysterectomy+Booklet&utm_campaign=30c61c525a-Booklet-14&utm_medium=email

I followed this to the letter and, even so, I have now developed a slight rectocele (bowel) prolapse which just goes to show you can't be too careful. I also had twelve weeks off work.

Take care. Rest, rest and more rest and do have a look at the hysterectomy site where you will find other women who have had their ops the same time as you - monthly clubs the thread is called - and they can support and advise you.

Taz x

lancashirelass

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2015, 09:23:23 PM »

The rcog.have some good patient.info leaflets.on.hysterectomy recovery worth a look.  I was.goven a.sheet by physio which was walking.only for first.six weeks. 

Micky

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 11:39:09 AM »

Thank you for your replies ladies
I had the op vaginally and thru three incisions in the abdomen - I felt able to stop the pain killers four days after the op - and feel I am doing ok - still have some vaginal discharge but not excessive...Struggling a bit with trying to be patient, and remembering  not  to be doing too much stuff just because I feel ok ...Can go a bit stir crazy being at home and alone  ..But I know in the long term its obviously wise to be sensible, although having spoken to a friend of mine who is older and had the op 20 years ago - she said the hospital gave her pelvic floor exercises to do just after the op.....The hospital couldn't wait to get rid because of shortage of beds, and there wasn't any advice given on what you should and shouldn't do post op ...On a positive note I think I feel relieved that that part of me has all gone - years of chronic period pain/breast tenderness/bloating/anx and infertility all no longer an issue & even hoping my anx may be alleviated ...

Rowan

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2015, 01:49:27 PM »

I know what you mean Micky, everything quietened in my body it was such a relief. I don't miss any of that at all.