Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Feel good fiction?  (Read 11340 times)

Briony

Feel good fiction?
« on: January 10, 2015, 10:16:02 AM »

Just finished reading The Rosie Project. It's about a university lecturer with Asperges Syndrome and his quest for love. I'd been feeling a bit down lately and this has really  helped to put a smile back on my face. What was the last 'feel good' book or film you read/saw? x

Dancinggirl

Re: Feel good fiction?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 10:59:58 AM »

I do agree it is important to read uplifting books.   I can't remember any I've read at the moment as I always have a book on the go so tend to forget titles etc quite quickly afterwards. I'll have a rummage later and make a list.
Thanks for the tip about 'The Rosie Project' - I must read that one as my son in on the spectrum and he longs to find a girlfriend.   DG x

Briony

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 11:03:26 AM »

Oh do, DG, it will give you that warm feeling. A bit like Curious Incident Of the Dog but with a heart X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 01:08:56 PM »

I couldn't get into the 'Curious Incident' at all  ::)
Like Dancinggirl I read really good books but can't remember titles etc., started Monsaur Bahrani's life story last night which is up-lifting! 
I likes a good novel that I can lose myself in too …….. tending to prefer real 'life' stories ……

Briony

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 01:22:21 PM »

Try The Rosie Project. CKLD. It's much more 'real life' than Curious Incident. Quite funny too. x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2015, 01:24:03 PM »

:thankyou:

Rowan

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2015, 01:53:00 PM »

libby1

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2015, 02:19:40 PM »

Anything by Milly Johnson is wonderful  :D

Libby
x

rosebud57

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2015, 09:53:26 PM »

Don't go in much for 'feel good fiction'.  Must admit I like crime fiction and thrillers.  Particularly like the Charlie Parker books by John Connelly.  Very well written, humour in places, but also very dark with a supernatural eliment.

If I do want something that's feel good I would read a Jane Austen or a Brontie.  Bill Bryson is always good if you need a laugh.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 10:26:11 PM by rosebud57 »

Ju Ju

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2015, 10:10:10 PM »

I've been enjoying some of Santa Montefiore's novels.

Rowan

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2015, 03:28:07 PM »

Read all hers books JuJu love them particularly her earlier ones e.g "The Butterfly Box"

http://www.santamontefiore.co.uk/

A lot of her books are set in the Argentine.

Dorothy

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2015, 08:05:53 PM »

I love James Herriot, Jane Austen and Miss Read.  Also, P G Wodehouse.  And children's books like Wind in the Willows and Anne of Green Gables.

Ju Ju

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2015, 07:37:13 AM »

:) oh how I loved Anne of Green Gables, along with Little Women and Black beauty! I struggled to learn to read, but discovered the joy of reading with the books of Noel Streatfield, Ballet Shoes etc.

Dulciana

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2015, 08:48:17 AM »

When our daughter was very little, I used to love reading the "Alfie and Annie Rose" books (Shirley Hughes) to her.  I probably liked them more than she did!  They're such cosy little stories with beautiful illustrations. 

Being an adult again (!), Rosamunde Pilcher's "The Shell Seekers" is a favourite of mine.

purplenanny

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2015, 09:32:33 AM »

Ahh, the Shirley Hughes books. I agree, absolutely lovely. I still have mine (my boys, of course) in the loft. Gorgeous drawings and stories
Pages: [1] 2 3