Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: question on perimeno and bleeding  (Read 2909 times)

Dandelion

question on perimeno and bleeding
« on: January 09, 2015, 10:35:00 PM »

hello I started hot flushes at 42 but mistook them for withdrawal symptoms from a med I was prescribed.
The flushes gradually got worse and worse, especially over the last two years.
They're getting better now as I am on hrt.
I was bleeding for five years, right up until I went on hrt.
The hrt only started working about two months ago when I went on 75mcg evorel, I may have to go on 100mcg, but I havent given 75mcg long enough, it's stopped most my ibs, and im flushing a lot less, but I still get them in bed.
I've been on hrt for a year and a quarter.
For all I know, my periods may still not have stopped.
They were irregular, sometimes every 3 weeks, or every 6 weeks, varying flow, one really heavy one  where I had to change tampons every 2 hrs, super plus.
My question is, is it normal for perimenopausal woman to bleed for so long and be in peri, or do women normally have irregular periods for say a year, a shorter time?

carrs

Re: question on perimeno and bleeding
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 09:00:59 AM »

Hi dandelion

Yes, it's normal to have irregular periods if they never fully stopped for a year in the first place.

This could last for several years,, in perimenopause not just a few months, and it is "normal".

You say you have recently increased your HRT dose to 75, so that could reduce the frequency of your periods, or even stop them.

It's a nuisance not knowing when the period will come, but it's probably best to see how you feel generally on the increased doses.

Good luck

donnacrichton

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 03:03:02 PM »

Yeah I have bled for 3 1/2 years only stopping a couple of times but mostly light x

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 08:30:18 PM »

Dandelion

I assume your periods are more or less regular now that you are on HRT? As your own cycle gets weaker then the bleed should generally be predictable ie every 4 weeks. Eventually the withdrawal bleed completely replaces your own natural cycle, but it is likely that you will always get a bleed on a 75 mcg patch. Several women eventually stop bleeding on a monthly cycle on a 50 mcg or low dose tablet.

Some women have fibroids and this increase the chances of a bleed which tends to be heavier even at low doses of HRT. Of course when you are 54 you will be able to go onto continuous combined HRT if you want to, and are still using HRT, which eventually also prevents the bleed.

Hurdity x

Dandelion

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 09:51:50 PM »

Hi Donna, Carrie and Hurdity :)

Thank you for getting back to me. My bleeds were pretty similar on the hrt, but since I've gone onto the 75mcg, the period I had was brown, no red at all, much less than the previous hrt bleeds I had.
I even made a post as it felt like I was not shedding my womb lining.

donnacrichton

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 07:13:58 PM »

I think my bleeding has not been helped due to high estrogen just has taken a while to figure this out x

Dandelion

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 07:28:34 PM »

I think my bleeding has not been helped due to high estrogen just has taken a while to figure this out x
Hi Donna

Are you sorted out now with your bleeding?
Mine wasn't too much, rather, I wondered if not enough bleeding was causing the problem.