Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: HRT:battle on or give in and try it, your views please!  (Read 2401 times)

Annaaustria

HRT:battle on or give in and try it, your views please!
« on: January 09, 2015, 01:46:00 PM »

Hi,this is my dilemma. Do I give in and ask for HRT permanently and try the oestrogen again - maybe a lower dose, it was 1 mg. Or battle on? I'd love to hear everyone's spin on this!
 I am English and live in Austria and have had such trouble with getting advice in German I thought I'd come on here. 54, I was diagnosed with Hashimotos hypothyroidism in 2008 and high cholesterol too, which seems under control. In 2013 I needed a partial hysterectomy due to my cervix falling to bits and causing such pain. Treatment was brilliant and I made a good recovery. BUT no one warned me of the side effects. I suffered from horrible palpitations for the first year,crying and panic attacks. These may have been acerbated by sleeping pills which I stopped as soon as I realised they might have an effect. The gynecologist said I should try two months of oestrogen- he always insisted I was having flushes which is one thing I've never had- I just run warm which is no bad thing in this climate!!! I lasted 4 days, because I felt so ill, (although my sex life briefly returned!!!!) All the symptoms returned but slowly subsided.I couldn't see how this would work really, it was feeding the body with oestrogen and taking it away after, so surely the symptoms would have returned anyway.  Now I've started what I understand is called aphasia, where I say the wrong words, sometimes I'm aware and sometimes not. I have to work so hard at concentrating when I speak that I'm shunning company. This  followed me going back to work temporarily teaching-nothing wrong with the concentration and words then!  The palpitations are back-but baby ones. I get my heart beating fast, which usually follows too many carbs in the evening, so I'm trying to watch that. I feel so low, sick of my body changing and not feeling myself and on edge.  I'm watching my diet a bit more and trying to exercise each day. Yesterday I had mild pmt (so my husband complained!) breast pain, but at least the anger stopped the speech problem!!! Is this ever going to end?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: HRT:battle on or give in and try it, your views please!
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 04:13:36 PM »

Have you browsed the menus, left of screen?

Forgetting words comes with the terriritory, I can feel my brain searching - this morning in the supermarket I made DH stand still until I could remember the veg I wanted, it was 'yams'/'potato thingies' ....... I didn't want to give up and lead him to them  ::) and evetually I got to 'sweet potatoes' ........ my brain hurt after.

You may have required a higher dose or something other than what was prescribed.  Again, reading the menus may give you an idea. 

I ran warm in the evenings after my bath and 10 mins after taking my medication but I have never had 'hot' flushes: cold ones yes, related to Tamoxifen when I felt like I had 'flu  :-\ ...........

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 08:52:59 PM »

Hi Annaaustria

I think I've said something on on of your other threads but can't remember what!

What HRT did you try - can you remember the brand and type? Also when you mean partial hysterectomy do you mean just your uterus? This means you don't have to take a progestogen as part of your HRT (technically if you've retained your cervix I think you have to for 3 months to check if there is any womb lining left). This is what is says on this site:

Sub-total hysterectomy

If the main part of the uterus has been removed but the cervix retained, it is currently uncertain whether HRT can be given in the form of estrogen only or estrogen combined with progestogen. The slight concern of using estrogen only, is that there may be some of the cells of the lining of the uterus in the cervical canal which could become thickened from the estrogen. This thickening can be prevented by adding in progestogen. To find out if progestogen is required, it may be suggested to use estrogen combined with cyclical progestogen for 3 months after your operation. If there is monthly bleeding in this time, it means that cells are present which are responding to the hormones so estrogen and progestogen should be used thereafter. (These hormones can however be given together continuously to avoid monthly bleeding). If there is no bleeding in the first 3 months, then estrogen can be given on its own thereafter.

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/aftermeno.php

If you have menopausal symptoms that are seriously interferring with your quality of life and there is no medical reason why you should not take HRT then I would have no hesitation, especially re the lack of progestogen - the cause of most women's problems with HRT.

I would go for a transdermal type - ie patch or gel and start with a low dose eg a 25 mcg patch - for a couple of months and then try 50 mcg (I used this dose from the start when I was about your age and have never looked back). Try to find a patch like Estradot if you decide to go down this route as it is one of the micro type - very small. Starting low will keep side effects to a minimum and you should reap the benefits!

Transdermal HRT also is not thought to interfere with thyroid medication unlike tablet HRT, so I've read.

Hurdity x

Annaaustria

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 04:59:45 PM »

Thanks Hurdity, I just have the ovaries, they took everything else out!  So I was told I only got oestrogen. It was interesting what you said about the thyroid medicine being affected by the oestrogen, I'll look into that. I did try to take each one at the opposite end of the day but you never know!

Salad

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 12:23:08 PM »

Hi Annaaustria

Sorry you're not feeling good.

My thinking is you've got nothing to lose if it's affecting your quality of life.
I was prescribed HRT in tablet form to start with but had an adverse reaction to them, so swapped to Oestrogel. The gel started working within the first 3-4 days and I slowly increased the dose over the next couple of months until all symptoms were under control.  :)

It's not an easy journey (it's a bit bumpy at the moment!) but when you get the oestrogen right it's so great to feel well.
I had a Total Abominal Hysterectomy and kept my ovaries so have gone into a 'natural' menopause. My friends seem to be sailing through their menopause so it's reassuring to come here and hear that others are finding it tough.
If you do decide to try HRT again then hang in there - it takes a while to find one to suit you and then to find a dose that's good - you're not alone though x