Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Paris attacks  (Read 23181 times)

Tabbycat

Re: Paris attacks
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2015, 05:41:38 PM »

Satire's raison d'etre is to ridicule "offensive" issues.

It's not so long ago that gay relationships and women being allowed to vote were "offensive" to some people. Even now, contraception and abortion are "offensive" to catholics. Should we kowtow to that, despite it being a load of misogynistic crap?

We've always needed satire to draw attention to these issues, and we always will.

honeybun

« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2015, 05:53:55 PM »

And hopefully we always will.

The right of free speech is so important to everyone. We take it so much for granted and maybe we should remember those who fought for it.

Honeyb
X

Dulciana

« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2015, 06:10:20 PM »

I don't think satire should be aimed at issues that other cultures are deeply sensitive about.   We wouldn't like it in reverse with issues that we hold dear.

The thing is that some people find religion, all religion, deeply offensive.
Where this is the case, perhaps satire is a gentler way of expressing disagreement than saying outright "this is a load of ........" The cartoons were mocking Islam weren't they?

I think people who do are treading on eggshells.   Disagree but don't mock.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2015, 07:20:17 PM »

It is mutilation …….. medically and emotionally, my point being that the UK is not good at watching our borders for those leaving so how are we going to be watching for those attempting to come in 'with intent' …….

honeybun

« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2015, 07:41:42 PM »

They are not coming in....there are here...born and educated in this country....they are British......but they follow the Islamic religion.

They are being radicalised and there is the danger. How on earth do you stop that. The young are born to rebel and push boundaries. Only trouble is these young people are prepared to kill......us.....and our children....

In the name of Mohammed.

Honeyb
X

Dulciana

« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2015, 07:59:58 PM »

I'm trying to imagine God in His Heaven, seeing his children mistrust and mock and attack each other.   Because it's all done in His name - isn't it?????   I think it's so tragic, the way people are so divided throughout the world.  What on earth is the point of causing divisions amongst each other, when we all come into the world, live our lives and then go out??    We're all the same species, made to the same model, for goodness' sake (literally).   Why can't we see each other as that?     

Limpy

« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2015, 08:38:58 PM »

It would be good is all religions could accept each other. However, the text below is taken from http://infidelsarecool.com/2006/12/overwhelming-evidence-of-i/

Islam doesn't look tolerant or forgiving to me.

let us have a closer look at what the Koran says about the infidels:-

Slay the unbelievers wherever you find them(2:191)
Make war on the infidels living in your neighboorhood (9:123)
When opportunity arises, kill the infidels wherever you catch them (9:5)
Kill the Jews and the Christians if they do not convert to Islam or refuse to pay Jizya tax (9:29)
Any religion other than Islam is not acceptable (3:85)
The Jews and the Christians are perverts; fight them (9:30)
Maim and crucify the infidels if they criticise Islam. (5:33)
The infidels are unclean; do not let them into a mosque (9:28)
Punish the unbelievers with garments of fire, hooked iron rods, boiling water; melt their skin and bellies
(22:19)
Do not hanker for peace with the infidels; behead them when you catch them (47:4)
The unbelievers are stupid; urge the Muslims to fight them (8:65)
Muslims must not take the infidels as friends (3:28)
Terrorise and behead those who believe in scriptures other than the Qur’an (8:12)
Muslims must muster all weapons to terrorise the infidels (8:60)

« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 08:47:32 PM by Limpy »

Rowan

« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2015, 08:43:34 PM »

I think it all comes back to Britain being on the highest alert, vigilance and security and hope they can protect us.

I hope our Police are given the money they need as our Intelligence Services have been given, and Government gets tougher.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 08:56:42 PM by silverlady »

honeybun

« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2015, 09:01:03 PM »

Well done on finding and posting that Limpy.

That's why I would like a big ship and a one way ticket and send them on the way to the promised land....there's that is and not mine.

One of the things that has always annoyed me is that when we Brits go visit another country we generally carefully observe the customs of others.....now I'm not talking about Spain here. If we don't then there is a rather large chance we could end up in trouble. Britain in particular go beyond all reasonable limits to welcome other cultures to the extent that our people are wary of what to say and how to say it. And this is how we are repaid......young people of Islamic faith who are prepared to kill innocent people. I don't want to live in a totally white country and that's not what I would ever want but can people not just live together peacefully without trying to impose what they believe on others.

Honeyb
X

Ju Ju

« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2015, 09:12:07 PM »

I think it all comes back to Britain being on the highest alert, vigilance and security and hope they can protect us.

I hope our Police are given the money they need as our Intelligence Services have been given.

No chance! And the few policeman left are too busy doing paperwork or off with stress!

It isn't religion that is the problem; it's people who use it as an excuse for greed, prejudice and the belief that their beliefs are the only ones that can possibly be the right ones. Thorough out history, there has been so much violence in the name of religion.

I believe it is good and healthy for people to get together, to share what they believe and support each other, but with respect for others who do not feel the same.

What is happening now is frightening. So many people lost and learning to hate and ready to be drawn into violence through technology.

rosebud57

« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2015, 12:28:15 AM »

Limpy, you can find as bad or worse in the bible.

rosebud57

« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2015, 09:08:50 AM »

Fanaticism is the enemy, not faith. 

I say this as an atheist.

This thread is becoming toxic.

honeybun

« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2015, 09:50:41 AM »

I disagree, it's an airing of thoughts. Nothing toxic about that.

It's obviously of great concern and also people fail to understand how these things are happening in our world.

Honeyb
x

rosebud57

« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2015, 10:13:11 AM »

Sorry, but I find xenophobia very toxic.

Rowan

« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2015, 10:37:01 AM »

xenophobia

"dislike of or prejudice against people from other countries"

The title of this thread "Paris Attacks"  is about Islam terrorists murdering innocent people they did not like. Is this right?

That is what I call toxic!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6