Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Toast!  (Read 14675 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Toast!
« on: January 06, 2015, 07:09:21 PM »

yep, that bread-based meal many eat at breakfast.  How hard can it be to make a slice of toast  ::) but over the years, DH and I have had a scoring system when in B&B, Hotels etc.; 1-5 ; because it really does come out of the kitchen in various colours and shades  ;D : and 2-night, DH burnt my toast before he managed to get the cheese over it  ::) ……

Hattie

Re: Toast!
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 07:37:10 PM »

My gran always said a bit of burnt toast/charcoal was good for you but maybe that was her excuse.

I bought my grandson a 'toast stamp' of a dinosaur shape to use before toasting - something similar might make hotel/b&b toast more interesting ?

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 07:38:58 PM »

I think it's because toast is often made in up-right machines which take lots of slices …….. in and out, placed on the plate and into the dining room, well this eater sends it back if there's any evidence of bread rather than toast  ;D

Joyce

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 07:48:40 PM »

I hate those rotating toasters you get in establishments serving buffet style breakfasts. You have to put the bread in about 2/3 times to get anything resembling toast.

Hattie

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 07:52:51 PM »

Do you grill all your toast CLKD ?

In hotels i wonder how many times the toast that isn't eaten comes back out for the next customer.

we have an open fire and an old brass toasting fork - not done it for ages but love toasted bread done over glowing coals.

Joyce

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 07:55:05 PM »

Marshmallows!!!!!! Never mind the toast.  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 08:01:54 PM »

Crumpets - our coals are about right by 11.00 p.m.  ::) - but the toasting fork is too short!  :o don't marshmallows melt?

I often wonder about re-cycled toast  ;D  :-X ….. as if ……..

We use a grill pan every morning ……… but Himself will wander off   >:(

Dulciana

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 08:13:02 PM »

When my Dad was a boy, he and his family lived in Epsom.  One of his abiding memories from childhood was my Gran's burnt toast.  Every day she burnt it and every day she would stand by the back door, going "scrape, scrape, scrape" until it was vaguely presentable for the breakfast table.  The finished result, with presumably one or two charred bits still remaining on each slice, was called "Epsom toast" - which my Dad still calls burnt toast to this day............. ;)

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2015, 08:15:01 PM »

Charcoal is supposedly good for us  ::) ……….

Ju Ju

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2015, 08:59:31 PM »

I was prescribed charcoal biscuits for IBS as a teenager. Disgusting things! Absorbs wind? Mum should have just burnt the toast! Much cheaper.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2015, 09:17:30 PM »

;D  we used to buy charcoal Bonios for the dogs ……… we ate them as kids  ::)

I don't like burnt toast ……. it has to be 'right'   :D

honeybun

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2015, 10:12:29 PM »

Burnt toast these days is thought to be carcoigenic (sp).

My daughter likes warmed up bread and my son likes it burned. I like it in the middle.

When my daughter was small she had a dreadful appetite. I gave her tubby toast as per the Telly Tubbies. All I did was toast the bread and then use a cookie cutter and make it round.  ;D.  She happily ate that but would not eat a square slice.

The things you do for kids  ;D

Honeyb
X

Joyce

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2015, 10:26:51 PM »

I'm with your daughter HB. Lightly toasted at most. Hubby changes settings, then pings toast, turns it, pings it..... drives me insane. If he'd just leave it in until it's toasted it would be fine, but no.

Youngest GD won't eat crusts, so chomps her way round & leaves them on the plate. Mind you as a child I hated dark crust on plain bread, toasted was even worse.  :sick02:

honeybun

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2015, 10:33:07 PM »

I'm forever burning toast as hubby keeps changing the settings. He likes dark and I forget to reset it.

His and her toasters required  ;D

Honeyb
X

libby1

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2015, 11:01:48 AM »

I like it cold so that the butter doesn't sink in  ;)  I know, I'm weird  ;D

Libby
x
Pages: [1] 2 3 4