Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Early surgical menopause, Crohn's disease and HRT  (Read 6728 times)

babyjane

Early surgical menopause, Crohn's disease and HRT
« on: January 06, 2015, 02:43:42 PM »

I had to go for blood tests this morning and the phlebotomist I was assigned to had a window open and a fan blowing (it was lovely). I commented and she referred to hot flushes so we started to chat. She was very open about it all and not at all reluctant to share her experiences.

To cut a long story short, and what could be interesting for some members, is that she is using Sandrena Gel having tried other HRT. She has been told she has to stay on it until at least 50 (she is 42 now) to protect her bones and her heart.

She said the Sandrena does not help the flushes at all but has actually caused them to increase, however it is the one HRT preparation that does not aggravate her Crohn's Disease.

I found her very interesting to talk to as I have read the experience of others here on the forum who have either had to struggle to get HRT or to try other sorts if it does not suit.

Also it seems that digestive trouble such as IBS, Crohn's, colitis, could maybe do better with the transdermal method or gel.

I don't know as I cannot speak from experience of HRT but I remember there are some members with Crohn's and IBS here.  I know my IBS plays up when my other meno symptoms are playing up.

Dancinggirl

Re: Early surgical menopause, Crohn's disease and HRT
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 03:28:50 PM »

babyjane - I would agree with what you have have told us.  I've used Oestrogel for many years(more or less the same as Sandrena but less messy) and anything that doesn't got through the digestive system is probably better.
As this lady has had a hysterectomy she can probably use oestrogen fro the rest of her life.
I believe women who use oestrogen only after a hysterectomy are actually less at risk of getting breast cancer than if they don't have HRT!!!!

My sister has Crohn's and in fact found HRT generally made things better. I have certainly had fewer digestive problems since I went back on HRT (I had a one year break)- I'm still using Oestrogel.
As this nurse is so young, I'm surprised she isn't increasing her dose of oestrogen to relieve more symptoms!!!!
So much emphasis is put on the very slight increased risk of breast cancer the protective part of HRT tends to be underplayed I'm afraid.  It is now believed that even 5 years of HRT through our 50s will give good protection from osteoporosis in the long term, also less heart disease and even reduce our risk of bowel cancer and this is not including the benefits of relieving meno symptoms.  I hope we will see a day when HRT is given as a preventative like statins.  DG x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 04:15:38 PM »

It's the 'C' word in relation to breast disease that is the buzz word, even though it doesn't kill as many women as other cancers  :-\

Thanks for the info Babyjane  :thank you:

Did you tell her about MM?

babyjane

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 04:40:21 PM »

No I didn't because my blood test went all wrong and she had to take the needle out and try again in the other arm by which time I was all hot and bothered. I thought on the way home I could have mentioned it to her and felt sorry that I didn't think about it  :(

One of my arms is a very pretty pattern of reds and purples now and the other one just has a tiny little pink dot in the crook of the elbow  ::)

Do you think I could benefit from trying Oestrogel this late in the day (womb removed at 38 ovaries retained, probably peri meno symptoms since forever but didn't know about such things back then  ::), hot flushes started at 52 - less bothersome now - but bad sleeping and anxiety with mind racing now.  I am 58). My quality of life is not too bad, I am not desperate but I sometimes wonder if things could be improved on a little  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 04:47:26 PM »

You could send an e-mail to the Dept.?

Can't answer your HRT query, sorry ……. hope the arm isn't too sore! I get to dread blood letting more and more as I grow older  :-X

babyjane

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 04:52:10 PM »

funnily enough I can't feel it at all. I have had more pain with less mess when a nerve has been hit!

Some phlebotomists are great and others not so great  :)

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 06:29:59 PM »

Hi babyjane
It could be worth asking about going on some Oestrogel.  As you are under 60 you should be allowed to try it.  As you don't have to use progesterone, because you don't have a uterus, you won't have to put up with the problems many of us have with the progesterone part.  I'm 58 and have just gone back on HRT after a one year break to see how I got on.  The lack of sleep was really bothering me, although I was coping with the flushes etc. during the day, I was just not functioning well.  I have had 6 weeks on Oestrogel (about 1.5 pumps per day) and feel soooo much better.  Good quality sleep is magical.   DG x

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 08:23:12 PM »

Hi babyjane

...and I was going to suggest you could benefit from a low dose patch eg Estradot 25 mcg which is low dose and very small. The current thinking is that women benefit from starting HRT within 10 years of menopause and especially starting under 60, so there is no reason why you should not give it a try if there is no other medical reason why you should not, and especially as you don't need a progestogen!  If you mention to the doc that you are still getting flushes and you are mot sleeping as a result, as well as the hormonally induced anxiety then it might really help with your quality of sleep and life.

Hurdity x

babyjane

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 10:20:30 AM »

Thank you dancing girl and hurdity. Hurdity my skin is so sensitive, I can't even tolerate sticking plaster or micropore which is why I mentioned the gel.

I am going to get an appointment to speak with my lovely lady GP. I sleep but wake up every 2 - 3 hours and it is dragging me down and the anxiety is a nuisance and my poor husband is feeling the cold as a result of me being too hot.

But HRT may not solve it all from what I have read here.

Limpy

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2015, 10:30:02 AM »

But HRT may not solve it all from what I have read here.

It might not - but you won't know till you try.

babyjane

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2015, 03:03:35 PM »

No you are right.  I have made an appointment for 15th  :)

Limpy

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2015, 06:16:34 PM »

Well done you.
Hope the appointment goes well.

babyjane

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2015, 05:05:43 PM »

That's what the phlebotomist I mentioned said, her flushes were worse on Sandrena but it is the only one that doesn't upset her Crohns, poor soul.

I like the sound of Oestrogel  :)