Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Obseity before birth  (Read 4161 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Obseity before birth
« on: January 05, 2015, 07:45:02 PM »

A Study is being done [watching Channel 4]: it is felt that what a mother eats during pregnancy ….. makes a child pre-diposed to eating more and probably not healthier.  Probably because a Mum feels hungry and eats, it is thought that baby gets used to receiving more so is programmed to feel hungrier immediately after birth. 

Also it is easier to grab prepared meals in this busy age rather than buying less but fresh grub - so we are taking in more 'hidden' sugars from before birth. 

Will be interesting to see how this Study pans out, though how to decide what pregnant ladies are to eat, given that in this particular area there are many cultures …….

I think that we don't have enough exercise  ;)

honeybun

Re: Obseity before birth
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 08:08:16 PM »

I worked up until three weeks before my son was born. I was constantly on the go. I also grazed most of the time because I felt sick otherwise. I ate loads and put on about 3 1/2 stone in all. I have a tall skinny son and I lost all my baby weight by walking.

Personally I think it's a load of rubbish. You eat when you are hungry and look after yourself in pregnancy. The baby takes what it needs to grow and it's mums job to provide it.

Honeyb
X

Ju Ju

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 08:18:22 PM »

I found it very difficult to eat while, pregnant and while breast feeding, yet had 2 large babies. My midwife started to lay into me for eating too much as I put on so much weight, when she glanced at my skinny legs, arms etc and concluded it was all baby. My son was 10lbs at birth and went straight into 3mth old clothes. I lost weight very quickly. 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 08:19:23 PM »

Crikey  ;D ……….. >ouch< ……...

honeybun

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 08:37:39 PM »

Bet that brought tears to your eyes Ju Ju  ;D

My son was 7lbs 6. That was big enough for me.

Don't see the link at to how much a mother eats as to whether her child will have a propensity to obesity. Clutching at straws springs to mind, oh and wasting money on pointless things.
Surely the money would be better spent on teaching very young mothers how to feed a baby.

Honeyb
X

Ju Ju

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 08:48:34 PM »

I had to have restorative plastic surgery as I was left with an apron of skin and muscles that gave up the ghost, so it was ouch! Very uncomfortable and emotionally distressing. Thank you NHS.

Joyce

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 08:55:58 PM »

My two are both skinny. So not fair!!!  :) I struggled to put on weight during my first pregnancy, daughter was 6lb 11. I ended up with pre-eclampsia with son. I was huge, he was 5lb 4.  I think it's more to do with over-feeding after birth.

Sympathise with apron Ju Ju. 2 C sections, 1 ectopic pregnancy & a hysterectomy have caused my muscles to give up the ghost too.

Mrs January

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 09:08:28 PM »

Hey there

My younger son was 11lbs 14 oz at birth, I ate when hungry and worked until 36 weeks and the girls at work begged me to go on mat leave:) I was huge and put on some weight...drove until I could no longer get behind the wheel at 38 weeks . Al went into clothing 6 to 9 months and is now 11 stone and 6ft 4ins at 17. 11 months later I had his sister gaining only 2 stone and she was tiny for me at 7 lbs 13 .

My muscles are shot after two C sections in a year and no tone left. I would love to have an apronectomy on the nHs but have never asked if I could

Mrs January xx

Ju Ju

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 09:20:42 PM »

It took 10 years to feel my tummy belonged to me again. Couldn't bear touching it, let alone my husband. Awkward. But I got my figure back. My son is tall and skinny. When he was born he was too long for the hospital crib and had to lie diagonally! He was surrounded by nurses marvelling at him as he was pushing up on his hands to look around when he was an hour old. I was put next a mum with a 5lb baby. Now that was a real baby!  >:(

Mrs J, I was referred for plastic surgery, after opting to be sterilised. 2 of my friends successfully demanded the op after I had it done, but this was in the 80s. But they had to ask their Gps first. I was lucky, but it was very bad. I was asked when my baby was due, when my son was 5 mths old, still in maternity clothes and little hope of getting back into my normal clothes.

honeybun

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2015, 09:45:20 PM »

I also have no stomach muscles to speak of after three C sections.

I have a lot of stretch marks and a bit of an apron. I think it's really ugly but what can you do.

Kids have a lot to answer for  ;D

Honeyb
X

Ju Ju

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2015, 10:18:47 PM »

No not my sons fault! Mine for choosing to have children so close together and genetics

Kathleen

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2015, 11:06:38 AM »

Hello Ladies.

Given that obesity is such a problem I can understand why various studies are being undertaken however there are so many factors to consider.

I am five foot two and slim, my daughter was born vaginally weighing eight pounds and was very long, three years later I had my son who was eleven pounds four ounces and I needed an emergency c section. I ate what I wanted, never put on any extra baby weight, didn't have any stretch marks and wasn't left with an apron. I have absolutely no idea why.  It may be due to genetics or lifestyle as I breast fed them both for a year and walked everywhere.
My daughter is five foot seven and my son is six foot six inches tall, both are slim and although I am short my husband is tall as are so many individuals in both families.
Nature and nurture both have a huge influence but trying to work out which makes the greatest contribution at any time is extremely difficult but worth thinking about if only to help mothers and babies in the future. 

Wishing everyone a good day.

K.

Rowan

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2015, 11:32:55 AM »

I am just under 5 ft, had my daughter at eighteen, was tiny and very slim, she weighed seven pounds eleven and a half, and I had an easy birth.

I was very lucky and snapped back very quickly even slimmer then before with tummy smooth and flat, but she was my only child and I often wonder if I had more pregnancies I would have been so lucky.

I did have a lot of morning sickness that lasted through the pregnancy so didn't eat too much, but she was born healthy and has never had any health problems and is slim.

It could be the luck of the draw, genetics, nature and/nurture, I knew how to look after a baby as my mum had a late pregnancy and I helped with my youngest brother. I read all the books before and after she was born, being a Service wife I did have good medical backup and  the Families Officer was on hand to help if anyone had problems.

I didn't breast feed as non of us were, as far as I can remember I never had any problems she was just a normal baby growing up into a normal child and adult. 

All of my brothers and sisters and I were skinny when we were kids and none of us have had weight problems.

I don't think obesity in a mother necessitates obesity in the child, its how the child is fed and looked after, and exercise as CLKD says, we were never in and rode our bicycles, walked to school sometimes miles and no junk food.   
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 11:37:00 AM by silverlady »

Hattie

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2015, 01:09:46 PM »

Surely the money would be better spent on teaching very young mothers how to feed a baby.

My DiL with newborn has gone to class/group to help her with breast feeding - she says that there are other classes/groups now that she could go to as well if she wants to eg Weaning.

Kathleen

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2015, 05:52:35 PM »

Hello ladies.

I just wanted to say that I agree with going to classes where necessary. I was taught the technique for breast feeding by an auxiliary nurse on the ward as soon as I had my daughter and without that "tuition" I'm not sure the pair of us would have managed so well!

Wishing everyone well.

K.