Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Salivary gland stones?  (Read 5883 times)

ariadne

Salivary gland stones?
« on: January 04, 2015, 04:52:45 PM »

Has anyone experience of this?  Just before xmas I felt a strange tingling inside my mouth and a little hard lump under my tongue. At the same time a lump appeared in my neck which made eating painful.

The doctor sent me to my dentist who showed me that the little lump under my tongue had a small white "head" which he said was a stone. He prescribed me a special mouthwash and told me to come back in 2 weeks. I asked if I could maybe squeeze the lump to release the stone but he said he had already tried that and it hadn't budged.

Well 15 minutes after I got home from the dentist, I could tell the stone had gone. After a few more days the lump in my neck had gone too and I was relieved everything was back to normal.

But then yesterday, I felt the tingling feeling again and the lump in my neck is back along with the little stone under my tongue. 

The dentist had asked me to go back after Xmas so I will make an appointment tomorrow.

Has anyone else  had these? I'd never heard of them

Ariadne xx

thorntrees

Re: Salivary gland stones?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 06:07:18 PM »

Hi Ariadne, I experienced this a couple of months ago. Was just eating breakfast as usual when I had a sudden searing pain down the right side of my face below my ear and into my neck. It made me say ouch and grab my face then it slowly went away. For the rest of the day it hurt every time I swallowed and by evening I looked like I had mumps on the right side. The next day it was still  hurting so went to the GP who had a good feel around and said it was a stone stuck in the salivery gland. He said the searing pain was probably the stone passing through the gland and the residual pain was because the lining of the gland was still inflamed. He gave me a 5 day course of antibiotics in case the blockage had caused an infection and after a few days all was back to normal. Seems its quite  common but I'd never heard of it. He also said sucking lemon sweets or similar which promotes saliva helps to flush stones through. If it happens again at least I would know what it was!!

Thorntrees

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 06:45:44 PM »

A friend's mum had this - and also another friend too - and they both had their salivary glands removed. It doesn't seem to be something that's done so often nowadays reading this http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/salivary-gland-stones/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Taz x

ariadne

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 06:59:10 PM »

Thanks Thorntrees- I am off to get a couple of sherbert lemons from my sweetie cupboard to see if that helps.

Taz - eek- dont fancy having my salivary gland removed  :o

Lets hope the sherbert lemon works  ;)

Ariadne xx

honeybun

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 07:29:39 PM »

Or just some very tart fruit. Both of my kids like to suck on lemon wedges. I have not got a clue why.

Hope you feel better soon.....any lemons in the fruit bowl  ;D

Honeyb
X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 08:10:53 PM »

OUCH!

ariadne

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 04:11:58 PM »

Im worried now. Dentist agreed the lump in my neck is larger than on my first visit, x-rayed it and has referred me to hospital. He said he wasnt sure if it was an enlarged salivary gland or enlarged lymph gland. Although surely if the small lump under my tongue contains a stone then I would have thought it pointed to salivary gland.

Anyhow, he could see I looked worried and said he didnt think it was sinister but felt it best to get it checked. Even if it has gone down by the time my appointment comes through he says I should still go.

So feeling slightly alarmed now.

Ariadne xx

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2015, 04:13:21 PM »

Lymph glands are signs that the body is fighting  infection - so if you have a problem in the salivary gland then maybe the gland on that side is 'up'.  Do you feel well otherwise?

Rowan

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 04:16:15 PM »

That's how my glandular fever started. I went to the doctor with enlarged lump at side of neck, blood sample taken and then it was confirmed.

I felt OK at the time.

ariadne

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2015, 04:50:11 PM »

Blood tests were ok and i dont feel ill although i did have a slight cold just before the lumps arrived

Ariadne xx

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2015, 06:33:20 PM »

How about giving the X-ray Dept a ring to see how long - given that hospitals are in emergency measures right now - you are likely to wait?  In the meantime, have a chat with your GP? A cold may well be enough to put the gland 'up' and may be irrelevant to the salivary gland but it would be nice to know!

ariadne

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2015, 07:03:56 PM »

The dentist said the appointment would likely be within 6 weeks. He did an x-ray but didnt have a lot to say about it except that he would send it on to the hospital.

The small lump under my tongue feels a bit smaller and less sore today. It doesnt hurt as much to swallow food today either although the lump in my neck is just as big and quite hard.

Ariadne xx

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2015, 11:08:20 AM »

GP then?