Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Do we expect too much from HRT  (Read 10260 times)

Dandelion

Re: Do we expect too much from HRT
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2014, 02:02:15 AM »

I think we should expect reasonable quality of life, because what is life worth, if it is spent in discomfort, in a low mood, too anxious to remember that life is magical, unable to appreciate the things that cost no money etc...

I was getting sweats and flushes and low mood/excess anxiety, for 4.5yrs, not realising it was perimeno, as I was only 42 and put these symptoms down to medication I was weaning off at the time.

I only realised last year, got the blood test and started the hrt testing merry go round.
The million woman study has a lot to answer for, even GP's believed it.
I had a seemingly pointless struggle at my surgery before getting on my current hrt and wasted a year on one that had no effect on me, as I was scared off, due to one doctor being 'snappy' with me about hrt.
All that  needless suffering and multiplied knock on effects.
Annie Evans put the risks into real perspective.

Meg

« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2014, 03:52:51 AM »

Am in the position that my GP refuses to prescribe HRT and goes through a list about various cancer risks.  I have spoken to other women who are in the same position with their doctors.  Personally I have been prescribed three different antidepressants which I have not taken up as yet as I am worried about side-effects and GP has not discussed these.  Have also been offered clonidine.  I think this approach is very common.  GP's may well not have the time or the knowledge, maybe worried about litigation these days.  Really dont know what the answer is as many women suffer from the flushes, insomnia etc etc for  who knows how long and its no use doctors trying to kid women about this. It seems pot luck if you get a GP who really understands.  Many women are losing out financially because they simply cannot cope with paid employment when they would really like to, especially at a time of great pressure on women regarding changes to pensions,( which they did not expect to happen when they were younger! ) Of course a lot of women find that they cannot tolerate the progestogen bit of HRT because of side-effects, they dont want a bleed and the continuous regimen doesn't suit either! If you go on anything and then want to come off, that too has its own issues.  Sorry I do sound very negative but just wanted to vent on this theme which has been raised.
Meg

Lizzy V

« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2014, 09:31:56 AM »

I think I was lucky to have a really understanding GP of.  By the time I went to see her I had been taking various herbal remedies for about 3 years which had helped up to a point.
The main thing that made me want to take HRT was that I was just starting a degree and couldn't sleep because the hot flushes were increasing also I felt like I couldn't think straight!
Coping with being a student again nearly sent me over the edge....It felt really strange and soooo noisy!!
The HRT definately helped to get me through. I had done a bit of research before and my GP gave me some websites to look at before giving me a prescription.
As you know I recently came off for a couple of months but now am back on it and feeling 100% better.
I don't think we expect too much just to be able to have some sense of normality... Whatever that is..... And just to cope with life
It good to be able to talk about these things!
Have a good day everyone x

Hattie

« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2014, 09:34:49 AM »

There should be well-women centres today at every surgery to educate women about menopause and the changes expected and to give them a health MOT if necessary as they reach 50 for example, and have a general health and life-style review.

Hurdity x

I was just picking up on Hurdity's suggestion further back - credit where credit is due !

Hattie X

Dancinggirl

« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2014, 09:41:34 AM »

Meg - you vent away - knowing what to do for the best when encountering the challenges of the menopause is a minefield and sadly many GPs really don't help - as Hurdity says, Well Women Centres are the answer.
When posing this question on this thread I wanted to get contributors on MM views and thoughts and I've found it all very interesting.
DG x

Meg

« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2014, 03:37:15 AM »

Thanks Dancing Girl.  It seems from the Forum that many women are close to the edge with menopausal symptoms and can only turn to sites like this one for some support.  There is still so much secrecy and even lack of understanding surrounding meno with women not really being able to discuss it even in this day and age. There is still an attitude that you should be able to cope with this often dramatic chemical change in the body.  I do hope that things will alter for the better so that women will not feel as if they have no support.

Meg

peegeetip

« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2014, 10:23:51 AM »

Hi Meg

just like its not the doctors decision if you wanted to go on the pill when you were younger, its not your doctors choice to use HRT.

HRT helps protect you from heart disease, from chronic conditions and other cancers, womb and large bowel for a start - both of which we don't get screening on so those can be missed.

If Doc tries to confuse things again, just tell them that things like eating certain foods, alcohol and smoking are far higher risks for cancer than HRT has ever been :)

Hope you get a more understanding doctor soon.

:-*

jedigirl

« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2015, 10:37:04 AM »

It's not so much what i expect from HRT that's an issue with me but the lack of knowledge in a GP surgery about menopause and all its symptoms.

HRT is a lick it and see for me but i agree with peegeetip that too many unnecessary tests are often undertaken before there's a recognition of something that is after all a natural part of a women's life. I'm certain my anxiety would have been more manageable if i hadn't gone through months of worry and feeling neurotic when all along I was telling the GP I suspected my hormones.

I hope HRT will improve my quality of life for my sake and my family.
Pages: 1 2 [3]