Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: New words  (Read 25311 times)

Hurdity

Re: New words
« Reply #75 on: January 07, 2015, 08:23:51 PM »

Following on somne earlier posts.....more words that people muddle up incorrectly:

Infer and Imply - no-one seems to know the difference (lots of people use infer when they mean imply

Procrastinate and prevaricate - even fewer seem to know the difference.... (lots of people use prevaricate when they mean procrastinate)

If they continue to be used in the way they are then perhaps the everyday meaning will change which would be bizarre.

I probably sound like a complete pedant but I put it down to my father who was initially a language teacher, and also my old-fashioned 1960's primary schooling (and at seconrday school) when correct  spelling and grammar were very much part of English lessons!  :)

Hurdity x

honeybun

« Reply #76 on: January 07, 2015, 08:37:27 PM »

I think our parents probably felt the way we now feel. In fact every generation will feel the same. The more commonly used words are now in the Oxford, so that means they are here to stay no matter what we think of them.

A lot is regional. There will be a lot of phrases in my part of the world that are never uttered in the south. In fact Hurdity picked up on one recently when I referred to a take away Chinese meal as a carry out. Not what they say in the South it would seem.
I'm 35 miles or so from Glasgow and how they speak there is totally different from our coastal accent. To be honest neither is particularly pretty. In fact it grates on me. I was brought up to speak without a regional accent and have done the same with my children
Mispronunciation is a funny one. I have to think before I say car park or it comes out as par cark.
My son could never say binoculars....it was always just a bit different and now I can't say the correct word without a great deal of thought  ;D

Honeyb
X

Joyce

« Reply #77 on: January 07, 2015, 10:46:08 PM »

Oh my mum hated the accent in Paisley/Glasgow with a passion! She was always on at me to speak nicely. My brother managed fine, but somehow I fell by the wayside. Not horrendously, but if I'd spoken the way my mum wanted I would suffered even worse bullying. My brother, being 10 years older, was past that stage at school & had started working.

honeybun

« Reply #78 on: January 07, 2015, 10:55:35 PM »

My sister was sent for elocution lessons to learn to speak properly. I was sent for singing lessons for the same reasons. And yes I did get bullied at school because I was seen as a posh girl.

Yeh right  ;D....I lived in a council house...not exactly posh  ;D

Glad my dad was so picky though as my kids have a Scottish accent but not a regional one which around here is .....ummm....horrible.

Honeyb
X

Joyce

« Reply #79 on: January 08, 2015, 08:57:19 AM »

If on the phone, my mum would have an ear to the door just waiting to trip me up afterwards. Not so much with friends, but official calls. To this day I find myself putting on my posh voice when making official phone calls.  ;D

Rowan

« Reply #80 on: January 08, 2015, 10:51:23 AM »

You and me HB, it was only the civilian schools I went to where I was called that, I went to so many schools that it seemed I was always starting over and the dreaded "making friends" once I had though I was leaving and off to another school.

My mother made all my clothes and I was always dressed very well (talking about primary schools) that on top of speaking differently and having a completely different kind of life it did get difficult sometimes.

I was naturally friendly but a little shy not suprising though.

Service schools were completely different and I thrived there.

purplenanny

« Reply #81 on: January 08, 2015, 10:56:12 AM »

Forgive my ignorance SL but what is a service school please?

Rowan

« Reply #82 on: January 08, 2015, 11:43:18 AM »

Not at all purplenanny :-*

Service schools is an umbrella name for kids who fathers were in the, Army, Navy Or Air Force,  I was an Air force Brat (Military slang)

http://williamsburgmilitaryinsider.com/2011/04/14/military-brat-do-you-know-the-true-meaning/

As we spent a lot of time posted overseas, I went to school on the airbase.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 11:52:42 AM by silverlady »

purplenanny

« Reply #83 on: January 08, 2015, 12:31:53 PM »

Thanks silverlady , very interesting x x

Tabbycat

« Reply #84 on: January 08, 2015, 08:32:55 PM »

Words that people use incorrectly: enormity. It doesn't mean "very big", it means "great wickedness".

Hattie

« Reply #85 on: January 09, 2015, 09:07:56 AM »

I wonder if predictive text is contributing to the change of meaning for words. I've received a few not corrected so the sender is not bothered.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #86 on: January 09, 2015, 10:57:10 AM »

Oh that happens on here  ::) - seems to change between my typing and pushing 'go', when I next look the word has altered  :(

Hattie

« Reply #87 on: January 09, 2015, 11:56:28 AM »

At least you know the difference CLKD - youngsters learning might not.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #88 on: January 09, 2015, 04:08:08 PM »

It is SO annoying  :D ........... I'm a proof reader and it so annoys me  :-X

Tabbycat

« Reply #89 on: January 10, 2015, 02:39:16 PM »

I have to confess that I correct old posts of mine if I notice a mistake later (not just on here, every forum I'm on!),
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 05:15:53 PM by Tabbycat »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8